patch cable

HamishR

I've been putting together another pedal board and trying to make my own patch cables to suit. I've used Lava cable DIY kits before with good results but I believe they have gone bust. So I've been soldering my own with Canare cable and Switchcraft jacks of various types. But more and more I am finding that the patches I make are shorting. I can only assume that I am melting the insulation while soldering the ends to the jacks. I used to be able to do this but lately have had a lot of misfires. It doesn't result in a complete short but I can read a resistance value when testing my cables from hot to ground.

Is there a better cable I can try? Canare 1805 was recommended to me but it likes to melt!

I recently built a bunch with Lava Tightrope and square jacks(which I'm guessing is the cable you used with the lava connectors). The tightrope is on the small side so it needed a layer of heat shrink to make the pancakes bite it but I like that since it gives strain relief.
It's a single solid core center conductor. That makes it easy to work with in those small squares but you have to remember that when handling. The way I see it, my patch cables don't get bent crazy over and over. Out of 16 built, I only hade one short because I got lazy.
Small bear has it for 0.70/ft
Take care in stripping. I recommend a combo of a new blade on a hobby knife and fingernails. Since it was designed for the pinch on end you used before, the outer inner (?) insulator is easy to yank off and you don't want to knick the center conductor as it could cause a weak point.

If you don't want the solid core, I'd recommend Best-Tronics (BTPA.com) CA-0678. Very low cap(lower than canare) and easy to work with. The braiding is a bit of a pain, but that's what you get with good tight braiding.
Their CA-0446 is my favorite instrument cable as well. Very low cap, nice flex with low memory.

Also, didn't use the Best-Tronics squares. Just go some off of AliExpress for something like $0.55 each in bulk. Work well but I did use blue thread lock on the tiny screws.

Just woke up 10min ago. Excuse typos.

Thanks! I'll check them out. With further experimentation I remembered why I like to redo all the patches. So I have ordered an Evidence Audio solderless kit to make some patches with. I like the smaller plugs and as you say - when the patch cables are fixed in place, ie not flexing, they last well.

I use the solderless George Ls. I think they get mixed reviews but I've never had an issue with them. Definitely no melting!

I use redco audio for cable and plugs... Rean square plugs and mogami wire in the recommended diameter

I use Mogami and never has it melted, I also use some solderless I made up years ago and they still work fine.

Back