HELP! PCB Layout Guidance

Yep I’m in the schematic part of diptrace and it lights up when I click on it but it always wants to draw a connection line and doesn’t give me a drop down menu to choose from.

I’ll try that thank Alex. I even updated to the newer version of diptrace but that didn’t work but I managed to loose all my libraries and saved preferred settings 😂

I gotta imagine it’s a cross compatibility error between OSs. The number of mac bug reports on their forum with replies suggesting OP buy a windows pc does not inspire me with hope on finding a reasonable solution for ya.

Why do you need to use the not connected pin attribute anyway? AFAIK it doesn’t make any difference when converting to pcb

The Mac version of DipTrace leaves a lot to be desired... It's a really poor adaptation in my opinion.

With that said, I've never marked an unconnected pin as "not connected", it's really not necessary, but I'd want access to context menus regardless.

Is there not a key on the keyboard that brings up context menus on Mac? (Fn, Control, Option, Command)?

The control option should be the right click that brings up that menu. I could try with a bluetooth mouse but you are right - there’s no point. It’s obviously more of an aesthetic thing on a schematic than functional.

The control option should be the right click that brings up that menu. I could try with a bluetooth mouse but you are right - there’s no point. It’s obviously more of an aesthetic thing on a schematic than functional.

I’m not on my computer so I can’t confirm you can do this without right clicking on a pin but if you show the op-amp component’s pin names you could at least get “NC” to show up on your page. This option is disabled by default for me on most components I think. But for example, diode patterns I use have anode and cathode labeled by default as opposed to showing “1” and “2” like how pins are displayed on a resistor or cap.

Edit, because I am vicariously frustrated through/for you

If you wanted to get as anal about it as I would, and I suppose I now have, you could try using BetterTouchTool and remapping your right click. What I think is happening here is diptrace not inheriting some of mac’s global keyboard shortcuts. The same thing happens for me on windows, and windows key global shortcuts don’t activate with diptrace active.

Holding down CTRL before clicking on a mac, (and I would hazard to guess what mac calls ‘secondary click’ on trackpads is the same) technically switches left and right clicks - but still has to check for a “left click” before remapping. The short of it is that it doesn’t really fire what a regular mouse would send for “right click”, which seems absolutely negligible in general except for in diptrace.

I think this screenshot of bettertouchtool’s documentation basically proves this by having ctrl click and right click be different.

7258E1AC-52B8-452F-AF9E-F2A676294D6B.png

Bettertouchtool, last time I used it (which was everyday when my work computer was a mac), is pretty good at making macros global/supercede others and might not run into the same problem as with ctrl click

Last edited:
Is there not a key on the keyboard that brings up context menus on Mac? (Fn, Control, Option, Command)?
If you're on a MacBook, two-finger click on the trackpad should do it, in most apps anyway. I don't know for sure about Diptrace.

Hey, I'm about to order some little utility PCB's and I'm reading about this HASL surface finish for the first time.
My stupid question is; should I order the leaded HASL option since I use leaded solder?

I had no idea some PCB's were coated in lead 🙃

Thanks @szukalski, will do.

Hey, I should also mention I pilfered your diptrace library a few hours ago!
burglar-thief-tip-toe-f8jph1114jt0zpbl.gif

That was a huge time-saver, I really appreciate you posting that resource.

Back