Pcbguitarmania Flaming Space Ring

Mentaltossflycoon

When I finished my cordyceps I had no intent to build another ring mod. Then @Bricksnbeatles goes and mentions that this project is "one of the good ones." I was compelled, especially since my wife is way into the flaming lips.

It went together quite easily and fired up first try. The range of bonkers sounds is far broader than the cordyceps. Both have a clean blend so they both address my needs for bass. I've been enjoying the choppy tremolo like settings. It's kind of a happy medium for me in that there's a considerable expansion in versatility within the same 125b footprint. Makes it even harder to justify building one of the bigger projects like one of the lovetones. Time will tell which one I prefer. Perhaps I'll have room in my heart for both.

Screenshot_20230628_023404.jpg Screenshot_20230628_023447.jpg

Fantastic graphic, how’d you come up with it?

I had the same knee-jerk reaction to Nick’s comment, “one of the good ones”. That was strike one.

Your build report is strike two.

While I’m not keen to order from PCBGM, I’m even less inclined to order an oversized PCB (DEFX).

What will strike three be?

Great job!

As much as I despise PCBGuitar Mania, and knowing the DEFX story about his one (that I read about after building this), I have to admit that it is a good one. Very noisy. Great to have fun with, if that's anything NOISE is your thing.

Only problem I met with this one is that one of the right (IIRC) is staying on with mine (a weak light but still it's shining a bit when it's off), and though I reflowed it, I never found where what I guess is some kind of shortcut was (could be concerning the footswitches though, will verify it once more one of these days). That's on me, I guess, for once, not on PCBGM. Other than that, it's working perfectly.

Last edited:
Fantastic graphic, how’d you come up with it?
It's another ai image from the wonder app. This one was a left over from my particle accelerator project. Can't remember the exact prompt but it's something like "Higgs boson immaculate conception." I did a few with prompts related to this project but I ended up liking this one more.

A few rejects.
wonder_1687855461337.jpg wonder_1687855531477.jpg

Great job!

As far as I despise PCBGuitar Mania, and knowing the DEFX story about his one (that I read about after building this), I have to admit that it is a good one. Very noisy. Great to have fun with, if that's anything NOISE is your thing.

Only problem I met with this one is that one of the right (IIRC) is staying on with mine (a weak light but still it's shining a bit when it's off), and though I reflowed it, I never found where what I guess is some kind of shortcut was (could be concerning the footswitches though, will verify it once more one of these days). That's on me, I guess, for once, not on PCBGM. Other than that, it's working perfectly.
I had an led stay on all the time once. It was infuriating.

Noise is thankfully very much my thing and this little circuit delivers. I had forgotten that defx had this one. I'll have to peep their build doc later. Thanks!

@Mentaltossflycoon i finished building my board and I noticed that the wormhole pot is giving an audible effect only in the last 15% of the rotation, is yours working this way as well? I'm asking because I also have some nasty ticking and whining when the pedal is bypassed so I also have to troubleshoot that...

Hmmm I don't remember mine being quite that bad. I think more than half of the rotation is useful. I let a friend borrow it so I can't check it the moment. I'll likely have it back in a few weeks though. I do remember thinking a portion of the pot sweep did little to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom