Pedal PCB Pro-Filter

jhaneyzz

Pedal PCB Pro-Filter (AKA Anderton's Super Tone Control)

Good LORD this one was a PITA.... (no one's fault buy my own...)

Not a hard pedal at all, but if you don't follow a mature order of operations you can really screw things up (see below for more)

This is super fun. Of course, I don't have a Wah so there's that...

I ended up wiring the marble on this like 3 different ways. There just Isn't any room under the board and the switch sits right to the north of it, so I ended up settling on the dual LED board hugging wire tree. Two Cyan LED's (very cool freaking color I found at Mouser) lit from either side. The picture doesn't do it justice.

The etching on this one was ferric chloride.

IMG_6815.jpg

IMG_6814.jpg

This will be the pedal I remember as being pivotal in breaking me of the bad habit of soldering my pots to the board before fitting it in the enclosure.

That damn little PCB shim behind the Frequency pot damn near ended me... destroyed the Volume pot cranking it down to the enclosure.

In fact, it has cause me to completely change how I prepare for the enclosure build and has broken me of several bad habits.

Forevermore, I will
  • Print, fold, and mark up a drill guide
  • Determine and mark the center of the guide
  • Determine and mark center of the enclosure
  • Center my guide on my enclosure
  • Measure everything from the center of the enclosure, not the edges (measure twice, drill once)
  • Use the ACTUAL drill guide for the design
  • Drill my enclosure before etching
  • Locate and wire for marble lighting before I finish the rest of the pedal

Beautiful !

I am curious about this ciruit, and wonder how does it compare to the Lovetone Meatball ? Is it based on it ? Is it even better ?

For exemple, can you set the wah effect in the middle of the note, during the sustain, or is it always on the attack only ?
Can it do reverse wah, too ?

I can't see any LDR or optocouplers... How does it work ? Is it cap + resistor filtering ?

Last edited:
Nice! The original Anderton circuit was one of my very first DIY builds, way back when Craig's book first came out in the mid-70s. If you cascade two of those things you can get some super cool filter alignments, but it can all become very tweaky and unpredictable too, IME. Easy to blow stuff downstream up too, ask me how I know. ;)

Nice! The original Anderton circuit was one of my very first DIY builds, way back when Craig's book first came out in the mid-70s. If you cascade two of those things you can get some super cool filter alignments, but it can all become very tweaky and unpredictable too, IME. Easy to blow stuff downstream up too, ask me how I know. ;)
Oh I gotta hear at least one example...

I imagine you could shred a speaker pretty easily at the very least.

Oh I gotta hear at least one example...

I imagine you could shred a speaker pretty easily at the very least.
Yep, tweeters really don't like high resonance treble boost very much.

But my classic example was a familial 4 band PEQ build that I lent to a bassist for a NYE gig I was mixing on, along with my Peavey 1810 cab. He decided to dime everything for the last tune, and blew the 18 and both tens, and maybe one or two of his own 15s IIRC. I made him pay for the 18 and tens, but I actually had to go see the band leader's mom to make that happen. She knew me from having an older daughter I went to school with, so it actually went very well, but...RAWK! :ROFLMAO:

I love this thing. I paired mine with an electrovibe. The result is now I can play the beginning of Pearl Jam’s “Black”. 🤣

It’s the most useful tool. Even if you’re not using it as such it’s probably one of the most funnest toys ever. 😎

Congrats on such a nice a beautiful looking build.

Last edited:
Pedal PCB Pro-Filter (AKA Anderton's Super Tone Control)

Good LORD this one was a PITA.... (no one's fault buy my own...)

Not a hard pedal at all, but if you don't follow a mature order of operations you can really screw things up (see below for more)

This is super fun. Of course, I don't have a Wah so there's that...

I ended up wiring the marble on this like 3 different ways. There just Isn't any room under the board and the switch sits right to the north of it, so I ended up settling on the dual LED board hugging wire tree. Two Cyan LED's (very cool freaking color I found at Mouser) lit from either side. The picture doesn't do it justice.

The etching on this one was ferric chloride.

View attachment 42414

View attachment 42415

This will be the pedal I remember as being pivotal in breaking me of the bad habit of soldering my pots to the board before fitting it in the enclosure.

That damn little PCB shim behind the Frequency pot damn near ended me... destroyed the Volume pot cranking it down to the enclosure.

In fact, it has cause me to completely change how I prepare for the enclosure build and has broken me of several bad habits.

Forevermore, I will
  • Print, fold, and mark up a drill guide
  • Determine and mark the center of the guide
  • Determine and mark center of the enclosure
  • Center my guide on my enclosure
  • Measure everything from the center of the enclosure, not the edges (measure twice, drill once)
  • Use the ACTUAL drill guide for the design
  • Drill my enclosure before etching
  • Locate and wire for marble lighting before I finish the rest of the pedal
love those oversized leds! the way I do it for the pots is: I solder just one of the lugs for a central pot. Then I fold the other pots tabs to the outside, making they look like \ | / and I put every pot in it's place. Then I insert the pcb and the pots fiting each respective hole, put the washer and the nut on the pot I soldered and then I do this on every other pot. Once everything is in place, I align the pcb carefully forcing it to the sides. Once everything is straighten up, I solder all the other pots, then I take the board out of the enclosure, solder the wires, put the led, put everything into the enclosure and solder the wires to the jacks and the 3PDT. Then I hope the pedal fires up on the first try, and it usually does.

Back