DEMO [PedalPCB] Jump Drive

This post contains an audio or video demo

szukalski

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
What a pleasant pedal. With the little time I’ve had playing, it’s probably my favourite MIAB. Golden Falk is ok but it lacks something which this has. (This could be because I play a KT66 JTM45 as my main squeeze).

Build wise, nothing too special or tricky. Nice to not have to bias or solder SMD. I used a relay board because I wanted to try one out. Works nicely and makes me want to do it every time, or at least those special builds.. glad I did it here.

Since there were no build docs, I tried a few diodes out. D9’s were nice but a little tame/muffled, they work well for fuzzes but not here. 1N4148s we’re good but a bit too fizzy for my liking. I settled on some BA282 which gave it a nice smoothness round the edges, if that makes sense.

Responsive to attack, it’s a great pedal and im interested in doing one in a 1590BB and moving the channel toggle to a foot switch.

No graphics on this one, I need to get the Posca out to decorate (@jjjimi84 is so right, gotta have something on there) but I didn’t see any build reports for this yet and it deserves a mention.

Attachments

• 8853EE47-E2BB-4B0A-986F-7666ABF0596D.jpeg
    8853EE47-E2BB-4B0A-986F-7666ABF0596D.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 745388E9-2200-460B-BB59-8E87098FD4F0.jpeg
    745388E9-2200-460B-BB59-8E87098FD4F0.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 79
Ok, just for @MichaelW , some demos. Ignore the playing and lack of mastering (clean is quite quiet, watch for the volume jump).

Pale Green Compressor > PPCB Jump Drive >> PPCB Gravitation Reverb >> JTM45 Clone

Clean:

Low gain channel at 75%

High gain channel at 50%

High gain channel at 90%

Love it! You should DEFINITELY do more demo's. Very "Martin Barre" riffs there.

So this pedal sounds nothing like what I had imagined. For some reason I got it in my head that since it was called the "Jump" drive it would be an BSIAB/Eddie-in-a-box type pedal. Really sounds very amp-like in your demo's. I think it's getting bumped up in my queue!

Agree with MichaelW. It definitely has a Plexi gain range and certainly nails the edgy fatness of early Jethro Tull. I have a gazillion OD pedals but might have to score this one. I'd be curious to hear the same demo with the Golden Falk.

Agree with MichaelW. It definitely has a Plexi gain range and certainly nails the edgy fatness of early Jethro Tull. I have a gazillion OD pedals but might have to score this one. I'd be curious to hear the same demo with the Golden Falk.
Haven’t done another demo yet but I spent a bit of time comparing against the Golden Falk and Brown Betty.

For me, its Jump > Brown Betty > Golden Falk but if I had any of the three I would be happy. The Falk just feels like the low end is too boomy and the high end too brittle. I may need to play with the bias a bit more but it’s more the eq’d voicing that I can’t dial out. My preference of course, maybe I need to run it through another amp.

If family situations allow then I’ll get an A/B test done and upload it. My recommendation is to build all three, they all have different voicings and are wonderful in their own places.

I've been experimenting with different Plexi/Marshall pedals to see which one would work best with an IR loader in my DAW.
I noticed that the Golden Falk sounds very close to the Marshall (JCM800) model in the Neural DSP Nolly plugin using the same IRs.
The Friedman Smallbox and DS/BE hybrid (AION Tempest) both lack output and don't really behave as preamp pedals.
So overall the Golden Falk is quite a good pedal to use into an IR loader or pedal. I also used a number of drive pedals running through it which sounded quite organic. :)

The next best thing preamp wise was the Simulcast (with silicon 2n4033) which also worked quite well running into an IR loader as a preamp. I did think that the Golden Falk sounded better and could be balanced really well with the treble/normal channels and tone control.

Any other preamp pedals that I can consider? I'm using a UAFX Dream 65 for BF cleans and it also works nicely into an IR loader.

Just wanted to share that the Golden Falk is a favorite here. It's an interesting way to compare pedals and I'd be interested how the Jump Drive holds up to the Golden Falk?

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with different Plexi/Marshall pedals to see which one would work best with an IR loader in my DAW.
I noticed that the Golden Falk sounds very close to the Marshall (JCM800) model in the Neural DSP Nolly plugin using the same IRs.
The Friedman Smallbox and DS/BE hybrid (AION Tempest) both lack output and don't really behave as preamp pedals.
So overall the Golden Falk is quite a good pedal to use into an IR loader or pedal. I also used a number of drive pedals running through it which sounded quite organic. :)

The next best thing preamp wise was the Simulcast (with silicon 2n4033) which also worked quite well running into an IR loader as a preamp. I did think that the Golden Falk sounded better and could be balanced really well with the treble/normal channels and tone control.

Any other preamp pedals that I can consider? I'm using a UAFX Dream 65 for BF cleans and it also works nicely into an IR loader.

Just wanted to share that the Golden Falk is a favorite here. It's an interesting way to compare pedals and I'd be interested how the Jump Drive holds up to the Golden Falk?
Pre-amp pedals.. Son of Ben, Luxury763, Chop Shop.. funny you mention the Simulcast, I always view it as a boost.

I find the Jump to stack better than the Falk. Jump and Broadcast type boost works great.

I find the Jump to stack better than the Falk. Jump and Broadcast type boost works great.
Compare the Falk and Jump by directly running them into an IR loader?

I thought that the Falk stacked really well in that setup with my Space charged v2. I use the Simulcast, Falk and Dream65 as amp “colors” at the end of the chain. I play other drive pedals like the TSV808 through them. Simulcast is also used that way by Ariel Posen.

With the Golden Falk, I dial the Gain I want with the Treble Gain knob & bring the Normal Gain knob from CCW up to to the desired Bass I want.
When I first tried it, I thought oh no, BSIAB!
Fine tune with the Tone Control.

Sounds rad dude.

But dammit. You invoked my favorite MIAB and then said "lacks something."
Q: So how can I avoid building a jump drive???
A: I can't.
(You enablers, all of you!)

J/K. I'm happy with the Golden Falk. But you've definitely put this one on my radar. Your playing is great BTW.

Sounds rad dude.

But dammit. You invoked my favorite MIAB and then said "lacks something."
Q: So how can I avoid building a jump drive???
A: I can't.
(You enablers, all of you!)

J/K. I'm happy with the Golden Falk. But you've definitely put this one on my radar. Your playing is great BTW.
Thanks a lot. I enjoy the Falk but it’s building on a JTM45 type sound, and that’s my main amp so it’s always going to fall a little short.

On the plus side, it’s an easy build..

Back
Top Bottom