Pedals for bass guitar?

giovanni

Hey guys, I am soon going to start working on a combo build with Depot Fuzz -> Amentum -> XBMB. I plan on building two of them since I was given two large Hammond boxes, and I was going to give one of them to a friend of mine who plays the bass.
So I’m wondering if all three of these PCBs will work fine with bass, or if there are any capacitor value changes I should make to make sure the low frequencies are not cut. Any thoughts on the matter?

Not an expert, but some forum searching led me to these three recent posts (Bass Pedal from @Danbieranowski, Bass Informant from @irvmuller, and master volume from @Markus ).

Amentum - @Markus says it's killer on bass.

Depot and XB-MB - Total guess, but given that the Depot Fuzz and XB-MB both have EQ-ish pots (voice, bass, treble, mids, etc), I wonder if you could swing things in a direction you like with the stock pedal design.

If you're unsure, can you breadboard the design, or socket the caps so you can switch out better values? Good luck, sounds like a sweet project for you and your pal.

Thanks for the suggestions! Given that many pedals have several gain stages that are capacitively coupled, I am a bit wary of socketing all of them (sometime there’s like 5 per pedal?). Maybe I can just make pspice models and figure out the cutoff frequencies...

I haven't built the Amentum but I do have a PCB I intend to build for myself because I have read that the Arrows works well for bass - lots of EQD stuff works well with bass (I'm a bass player myself).

I usually do a Google search with the production model of the effect I'm considering and just add "bass" at the end (something like "EQD Arrows bass"). You'll usually find some forums with people talking about them and how they work with bass. For mods you'll probably have to breakout parts of the PCB to a breadboard if you don't find anything that's already been done and tested.

I can say from personal experience that the Obsidius sounds amazing on bass.

Oh I’ve definitely done that and all three of those are supposed to work well with bass. But I want to make sure the PPCB versions will too!

The amentum is fire. Hasn't left my board since I built it. I would love to hear it on bass though. It adds a ton of presence on guitar. Maybe google EQD Arrows bass demo?

Maybe @Chuck D. Bones has some thoughts? :)
Sometimes I do. :unsure:
Which pedals you use for bass and whether they require tweaking is a matter of personal taste. If you want the fundamental tones to come thru, then embiggening some of the caps may be required. Another strategy that shows up in bass pedals is a Blend control that mixes some of the clean signal back in to preserve the low frequencies.

The PedalPCB boards are true replicas of the originals. If the original sounds good, so will the PedalPCB version.

Thanks for the thoughts! I’m really tempted to go full on pspice on this one. From the demos I found online, all 3 pedals seem to work fine and are appreciated by bass players.

Back