Potentiometer rotation angle?

giovanni

I recently made a faceplate where I put dots at the beginning and end of each potentiometer rotation range, similar to what Boss does. I did a quick google search and concluded that the total angle covered by a potentiometer run is 270 degrees. However, this doesn’t seem to be the case with the Tayda pots I got, which seem to have a slightly bigger range. Do you guys know the right value? Is it 315? Or 300? What do you guys use for your graphics?

I recently made a faceplate where I put dots at the beginning and end of each potentiometer rotation range, similar to what Boss does. I did a quick google search and concluded that the total angle covered by a potentiometer run is 270 degrees. However, this doesn’t seem to be the case with the Tayda pots I got, which seem to have a slightly bigger range. Do you guys know the right value? Is it 315? Or 300? What do you guys use for your graphics?

When in doubt, pull the data sheet:

1719406892916.png

In fact, just ALWAYS pull the data sheet. No need to to wing it these days.

Maybe another question could be: given the pots I have in my bin, how do I measure the total run? Maybe I’ll make a little acrylic jig to do the measuring…

I usually get the alpha ones from tayda, but sometimes get stompboxparts or tayda house brand for an odd value.

I've never noticed different knob travel when mixing brands. Checking the datasheets is definitely the move, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the 16mm pots from the regular suppliers are the same.

I've never noticed different knob travel when mixing brands. Checking the datasheets is definitely the move, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the 16mm pots from the regular suppliers are the same.

I think the point was that @giovanni DID notice a difference with respect to the knob surround/travel marker dots he used.

I agree that you will mostly not discern a 30 degree difference just on sight but if you have a "landmark" in the form of dots or surrounds, you will.

A sidetrack on data sheet checking: you guys all just do this through a Google query a la, "component datasheet" I suppose? Are there things to look out for / be wary of? I mean, the internet is a handful of pearls within a trog of hogwash, as we all know.

A sidetrack on data sheet checking: you guys all just do this through a Google query a la, "component datasheet" I suppose? Are there things to look out for / be wary of? I mean, the internet is a handful of pearls within a trog of hogwash, as we all know.

I typically get datasheets from where I buy the stuff from.

If I order from Tayda, there’s a datasheet attached, and so on and so forth.

Thanks! @Erik S @Big Monk. Have been making it a habit to download datasheets for all the transistors and ICs I've selectively bought. But I've been wondering if the data I'm getting through random sites really is what I should be doing.

Also, maybe we need our own version of RTFM here... RTFD? 😅

Back