PPCB Headphone Amplifier

genXslacker

Well-known member
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I expected to like this circuit, so I took my time and used my favorite components (that I had on hand).

No regrets, I love this thing. Judged with Audio-Technica ATH-M40x headphones* and the only ears I have access to hearing with, the frequency response is perfect. For my money, @Robert knocked it out of the park with this one.

Common components, no unnecessary complications, and no tight squeezes or weird soldering angles.

I built it mainly to use when breadboarding, but it's been getting plenty of use outside of its primary reason for existence.

1000003551.jpg

1000003552.jpg

*Purportedly flat-response studio headphones
 
Since there is still no build docs imma throw this in here. I've only put the 5817 on so far.
Good to know people like it, guess I already bought the pcb anyway but helps me know it will be worth building.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260510_184216004.jpg
    PXL_20260510_184216004.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 41
That looks to be the cleanest board that I have seen. There is absolutely no flux on that board and everything is in line. Perfect.
I appreciate that. I laugh at myself for spending so much time on flux removal, but flux residue drives me crazy.

I've been wanting to build this--do you use a cabinet sim with it?
I personally don't, but I'm sure that you've seen that many do. And I considered doing so, too, but because I built it primarily for critical listening to breadboard changes and auditioning new builds, I didn't want to add any extra coloration to the output.
 
@genXslacker
That is a very clean build, great job. Question: what do you use to mark the pedal ("Spread", "Headphone AMP")?
Thanks

Stamping sets, similar to these. Different sets do different sized letters. You put some kind of support underneath the surface that you're stamping on and whack the ends with a hammer.

Thanks for the kinds words!
 
Flux? Thats the flava…

stewie-family-guy.gif
 
Back
Top