DEMO Precipice Overdrive (Greer Black Mountain Crunch) - Demo Added

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I was really anticipating this one since it popped up on the wishlist.

Out of the 3 Greer pedals I've built, the Lightspeed (Mach 1) still ranks pretty high as my favorite low gain drive.
The other two (Southland and Soma) didn't really do it for me.

The Black Mountain Crunch is a really neat pedal, super fast build, low component count but sounds fantastic.

There's a really wide range of gain too. If I had one complaint is that the tone knob doesn't quite have enough range for me but it still sounds really cool.

I was testing the pedal after building it this afternoon, turned on the looper and kinda got lost for an hour or so just jamming. Which is always cool.

I think I like it best as a low gain application, turn the gain knob all the way down, on the neck pickup on my Les Paul, it sounds heavenly.
Clipping provided a pair of opposing silicone diodes (BAT41 and 1N914).

I'll try to get a demo of it up tomorrow.

Graphics inspired by @DGWVI.... :ROFLMAO:

IMG_4426.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG

I was really anticipating this one since it popped up on the wishlist.

Out of the 3 Greer pedals I've built, the Lightspeed (Mach 1) still ranks pretty high as my favorite low gain drive.
The other two (Southland and Soma) didn't really do it for me.

The Black Mountain Crunch is a really neat pedal, super fast build, low component count but sounds fantastic.

There's a really wide range of gain too. If I had one complaint is that the tone knob doesn't quite have enough range for me but it still sounds really cool.

I was testing the pedal after building it this afternoon, turned on the looper and kinda got lost for an hour or so just jamming. Which is always cool.

I think I like it best as a low gain application, turn the gain knob all the way down, on the neck pickup on my Les Paul, it sounds heavenly.
Clipping provided a pair of opposing silicone diodes (BAT41 and 1N914).

I'll try to get a demo of it up tomorrow.

Graphics inspired by @DGWVI.... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 44563

View attachment 44564
Great job as always! I love the Golden leads connecting the main board to the 3pdt. I'm very interested in building this one, I'm getting a board in my next shopping cart

Definitely gonna build this one...you know my love for the Mach 1. The Southland didn't do it for me either. I do have they Soma in my pile, but what about the Hatchet (Tomahawk)? anyone build this one yet? I also have this in my pile and am curious...I love me some Greer clones!

Definitely gonna build this one...you know my love for the Mach 1. The Southland didn't do it for me either. I do have they Soma in my pile, but what about the Hatchet (Tomahawk)? anyone build this one yet? I also have this in my pile and am curious...I love me some Greer clones!
Dang, I missed that, added to wishlist....:)

Just watched a couple demo's of it, sounds really nice. Kind of tweed-ish.

I was disappointed by the Southland too. I do like the Hatchet though--not as much as I like the Mach 1. The Hatchet is a nice light to medium overdrive--the circuit seems to be based on 250/dist+ but is voiced differently.

As for the Soma, I quite like it. Used as the last drive in my chain as an amp-sim, it gives me a Fenderish character and unique compared to the other pedals I have--it doesn't stack well with everything though.

I was disappointed by the Southland too. I do like the Hatchet though--not as much as I like the Mach 1. The Hatchet is a nice light to medium overdrive--the circuit seems to be based on 250/dist+ but is voiced differently.

As for the Soma, I quite like it. Used as the last drive in my chain as an amp-sim, it gives me a Fenderish character and unique compared to the other pedals I have--it doesn't stack well with everything though.
I'm kind of excited to build the Soma. Gonna build the hatchet this weekend, so I'll keep you all posted.

Hot. Sounds pretty useful, how does it stack?

I grew into the Soma, it doesn't work with everything and I found a narrow range for "what I like" but once it's there it's nice. More in a one-kinda-tone, instead of a flexible all-rounder (like a chop shop into a honey bee).

Hot. Sounds pretty useful, how does it stack?

I grew into the Soma, it doesn't work with everything and I found a narrow range for "what I like" but once it's there it's nice. More in a one-kinda-tone, instead of a flexible all-rounder (like a chop shop into a honey bee).
I didn't try stacking it, it's got so much gain already. I did try the Modus to boost it, not really boost, but shape it a bit. As expected the Modus makes everything sound better heh....

That Gretsch sounds great! Seriously amazing. I'm gonna have to try this pedal now. I love my two Gretsches and it sounds like you are getting into "That Great Gretsch Sound" too. :cool: It really does sound like we are into similar sounds.

That Gretsch sounds great! Seriously amazing. I'm gonna have to try this pedal now. I love my two Gretsches and it sounds like you are getting into "That Great Gretsch Sound" too. :cool: It really does sound like we are into similar sounds.
Well my TV Jones finally shipped. Took them long enough but granted I ordered them right before NAMM. Looking forward to finishing up my "Tele-Tron" build!!

Reactions: fig
Back