Pro-Filter / Red Llama (vero)

SYLV9ST9R

A special order I did for a friend to mangle vocals and synth lines in his band. We looked at different options and we landed on this compact configuration as I already had a board and parts for the pro-filter (which I like a lot) and the Red Llama was pretty straightforward. It's only my second Vero build, and my first still need troubleshooting (a Disaster delay Jr.).

I built it with 4 jacks so he can use the 2 effects in series or use them independently. It's pretty packed in that 1590BB but everything fitted fine after I filed the lip of the lid on the jacks side.

I had a scare when I tested it boxed (everything was working fine outside), as the OD was very noisy, but I found out that my 3 year old had cranked the gain on my amp, so the troubleshooting was pretty quick.
Hope that my friend's happy with it.

IMG_6987.jpg IMG_6981.jpg

Nice build, tight fit!
Those TI CD4049s can be kinda noisy, even when the amp is not cranked. Unfortunately, the quiet ones from Fairchild & RCA have been out of production for a long time.

Nice build, tight fit!
Those TI CD4049s can be kinda noisy, even when the amp is not cranked. Unfortunately, the quiet ones from Fairchild & RCA have been out of production for a long time.
Thanks for the heads-up Chuck. At "normal" level, it was pretty quiet. But before I turned the gain down, it was more like an old tv without reception !

Great looking build. I'm always impressed by you folks who like to fit everything in to as small of an enclosure as possible, especially when you're able to keep it pretty neat looking while doing it.

Great looking build. I'm always impressed by you folks who like to fit everything in to as small of an enclosure as possible, especially when you're able to keep it pretty neat looking while doing it.
Thanks.
I was the first surprised, the only other double pedal I did was in a 1590XX. With measurements, it looked like it would fit, so I went for it, seeing as the Vero for the Red Llama was pretty small. I also used Tayda's drill service to be sure not to screw things up...

I really like the aesthetic you've got going on here- great graphic design and color choices, plus all the nice things those other guys said already.

I really like the aesthetic you've got going on here- great graphic design and color choices, plus all the nice things those other guys said already.
Thanks. I really like this pictogram approach I did for the pro-filter, it was one of the first I designed, and it’s the 3rd time I’ve used it so far. The colour scheme was following preferences from my friend, so I adjusted to his taste.

I am really curious about the pro-filter. IIUC it provides 3 different (resonant?) filters? What is it good for? Thank you!

I am really curious about the pro-filter. IIUC it provides 3 different (resonant?) filters? What is it good for? Thank you!
you have high, band and low pass on the top 3 control, which kind of act as mixers for each filter, and they are all linked to the same frequency and resonance control.
The controls are quite interactive, but I really like it.

So mainly, you can subtract some frequency from the signal, thus shaping the distortion or the signal, in the case of a synth, which I like to use it on.

Last edited:
Back