Problems with Woodpecker Tremolo build.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what is going on with my build. I am a total newbie, this is my second build, and am still trying to understand how to read a schematic let alone know what I have done wrong. Many thanks!

The pedal allows sound through when off. When on, sound continues to be produced but it does not do the tremolo thing. Instead, the depth knob (B10k) when turned down increases the volume and when turned up it gets quieter. The B100k volume pot works like it should, increasing and decreasing the volume as well. The rate pot and switch do not seem to be doing anything. I did decide to add an expression input for the rate, but I think I have it wired correctly. If someone could please help me that would be great. I will attach pics.

Attachments

• 82DE0799-ED95-493B-A41B-8D28296C2F5D_1_201_a.jpeg
    82DE0799-ED95-493B-A41B-8D28296C2F5D_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5761.JPG
    IMG_5761.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5764.JPG
    IMG_5764.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Where did youget your 2n6027? I had a fake and mine was doing the same thing.
Do you know how to check if it is working? I got it from the website Banzai Music. I have seen on here that some people have gotten fakes from them. How did you end up solving the problem? Did you get one from somewhere else? Unfortunately, I got my 2N5089 and PF5102 from them as well.

Do you know how to check if it is working? I got it from the website Banzai Music. I have seen on here that some people have gotten fakes from them. How did you end up solving the problem? Did you get one from somewhere else? Unfortunately, I got my 2N5089 and PF5102 from them as well.
Banzai was where I got fake/dud. :(

I fixed mine by buying a central brand from Mouser.

Banzai was where I got fake/dud. :(

I fixed mine by buying a central brand from Mouser.
Thanks, I will have to give that a try and see if it solves the problem. I found your old thread where you had the same problem. I don't see a solder bridge at all so I am not sure why my depth pot is still working as a reverse volume. Also, did you have to pay €20 to ship? I just put it in my cart and it was showing €22.11, yikes.

Last edited:
Your board could use a bit of cleaning and the solder tits could be trimmed shorter. But that wouldn’t explain the issue you are experiencing. Bad transistor could be the root cause. I think there are legit European vendors that won’t charge you that much.

Your board could use a bit of cleaning and the solder tits could be trimmed shorter. But that wouldn’t explain the issue you are experiencing. Bad transistor could be the root cause. I think there are legit European vendors that won’t charge you that much.
I will give the board a clean and clip the tits 😂. What vendors would you recommend? I am new to sourcing parts and got hit with a bunch of customs charges on my Tayda order a while back. This is why I was hoping Banzai would be a good source. Also, in fairness to Banzai, I contacted them about the faulty 2N6027 and they are sending me a new one at no charge.

I may never look at my Soldering the same way again!!! :LOL:

Last edited:
I get my 2n6027 from Smallbear. Yes shipping costs are stupid to Australia. But never had an issue with their items.

As far as your issue I'm unsure but, understand this. With the Depth control all the way down it turns the tremolo effect completely off. Meaning you can use it as a boost pedal via the volume/level adjustment.

Do you have the same effect with it out of the enclosure and wired correctly with your expression input removed?? I'd start there.

Last edited:
I get my 2n6027 from Smallbear. Yes shipping costs are stupid to Australia. But never had an issue with their items.

As far as your issue I'm unsure but, understand this. With the Depth control all the way down it turns the tremolo effect completely off. Meaning you can use it as a boost pedal via the volume/level adjustment.

Do you have the same effect with it out of the enclosure and wired correctly with your expression input removed?? I'd start there.
I have not unwired the expression input, but I am certain I have that correct. It works the same outside of the enclosure. Thanks for the tip on Smallbear.

I feel I should give a shout out to Banzai. I contacted their customer service about the issue with my 2N6027 and they immediately apologised and sent out a new one. Upon receiving the replacement 2N6027 it was also found to be a fake. I contacted them and had an immediate response and explanation. They explained that they bought their lot in 2015 and had not been made aware that they were not working for some people. He told me they have pulled the old lot from sales and that they have gotten in a new lot from Central Semi. I reported my problem to them yesterday and they have already sent me the replacement. I am really impressed with their willingness to make sure they make this right. They have gone through a lot of effort on a very inexpensive part.

Back