Pure Data / Pd

Ok next step.
We don't know where the command `hvcc` went. pd2dsy needs it.
Try

If that says nothing, then look next to the location of python, which you can find with

When you do find it, change the `--hvcc-cmd` option in the Makefile to point to the full path to it.
Tried this and got the location with
C++:
which hvcc
then took out the '--hvcc-cmd' and replaced it with
Code:
/c/Users/justi/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python310/Scripts/hvcc
Same results as before...

When I went back to look at the git repos, it looks like the makefile has just changed?

Is Python 3 okay to use then? The README says;

Test that you have python installed, and that its the proper version. It should be python 2, not python 3. Test this by running: `python --version`
Just checked this, it's Python 3.10.0. I can try to install a 2, it looks like there's a 2.7 available?

Thanks again for letting me baby-step through this with your help Fig and Shrimp.

Trying Python 2.7 and changing Python3 to Python in the Makefile gets me this, which I think we've seen before:
Code:
$ make
rm -r build patch.bin
rm: cannot remove 'build': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'patch.bin': No such file or directory
make: [Makefile:4: patch.bin] Error 1 (ignored)
python pd2dsy/pd2dsy.py --hvcc_cmd hvcc --board petal --out_dir C:/Users/justi/terrarium-puredaisy/build patch.pd
['C:\\Users\\justi\\terrarium-puredaisy\\pd2dsy', 'C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\python27.zip', 'C:\\Python27\\DLLs', 'C:\\Python27\\lib', 'C:\\Python27\\lib\\plat-win', 'C:\\Python27\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\Python27', 'C:\\Python27\\lib\\site-packages']
Converting patch for petal platform
Executing hvcc C:\Users\justi\terrarium-puredaisy\patch.pd  -o C:/Users/justi/terrarium-puredaisy/build -n patch -g c
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pd2dsy/pd2dsy.py", line 190, in <module>
  File "pd2dsy/pd2dsy.py", line 166, in main
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'run'
make: *** [Makefile:5: patch.bin] Error 1

Realized after a few minutes that I had not run make bootstrap after replacing Python, bootstrap got me this:
Code:
$ make bootstrap
git submodule init
git submodule update
cd pd2dsy && git submodule init
cd pd2dsy && git submodule update       
cd pd2dsy/hvcc && pip2.7 install .
DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 won't be maintained after that date. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7. More details about Python 2 support in pip, can be found at https://p
ip.pypa.io/en/latest/development/release-process/#python-2-support
Processing c:\users\justi\terrarium-puredaisy\pd2dsy\hvcc
ERROR: Package 'hvcc' requires a different Python: 2.7.18 not in '>= 3.7'
WARNING: You are using pip version 19.2.3, however version 20.3.4 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.
make: *** [Makefile:14: bootstrap] Error 1

The ominous part (mostly because it printed in red) looks like: ERROR: Package 'hvcc' requires a different Python: 2.7.18 not in '>= 3.7'

Soo ... i wonder if there are some testers about.

Here is the template repo I mentioned:

A test would be to clone this repo and follow the README steps to build the stand-in patch that's already there. Before you stab at it, take note of what the README says about supported/tested operating systems.
If you try it, lemme know.
So, I owe @Plate of Shrimp and the rest of this thread a big belated apology for hijacking the conversation and then abandoning it. I’m sorry guys!!

Now that I have that off my chest, I’m wondering if anyone is back to hacking away at PD and the terrarium? For me, I’m using a Mac OS machine now, and with the pd2dsy utility from electro-smith I’ve got the thing up and running. I used the helloknob.pd patch to test it out, modified it to find how to wire all my switches up in PD and feel like I’m finally on the right track. So thank you for your patient help!!

My next hurdle is going to be accessing the LED’s I think. From what I understand right now, a custom JSON might be needed to get them working with the pd2dsy utility??

> hijacking
I'm not bothered, hell, I hijack my _own_ conversations.
I have not touched that thing is ages, but maybe later this month. If I see something about LEDs I'll post.

> modified it to find how to wire all my switches up in PD
To quote FDR: "woohoo"

Back