Quick Tip For Testing - Noobs PLEASE READ

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
So, I decided to open up my Sanguine Distortion pedal to clean it up. It’s either called the red or green channel on this site. Anyway, I took it out of the box entirely, swapped out some wiring, and reflowed some solder. I fired it up.

nothing

Huh? This JUST worked 5 minutes ago!! I checked all my IC voltages, diodes, etc. and couldn’t figure out wtf I did to have no signal go through.

Turns out I turned the volume pot all the way down to take off the knobs. I turned it 1/4 turn and got signal. Let this be a lesson to anyone testing their circuits. CHECK YOUR POTENTIOMETER LEVELS!!

So, I decided to open up my Sanguine Distortion pedal to clean it up. It’s either called the red or green channel on this site. Anyway, I took it out of the box entirely, swapped out some wiring, and reflowed some solder. I fired it up.

nothing

Huh? This JUST worked 5 minutes ago!! I checked all my IC voltages, diodes, etc. and couldn’t figure out wtf I did to have no signal go through.

Turns out I turned the volume pot all the way down to take off the knobs. I turned it 1/4 turn and got signal. Let this be a lesson to anyone testing their circuits. CHECK YOUR POTENTIOMETER LEVELS!!

Ha! I literally did this with a new build last night and was so sad. Until I realized I had the board upside down so when I thought volume was maxed it was actually turned all the way down. Doh!

Once I spent hours debugging an issue until I realized that I had plugged the guitar in the output, and the input into amp. The bypass signal worked but not the circuit.

When the pedal is upside-down and open, the jacks are on the other sides (duh).

Once I spent hours debugging an issue until I realized that I had plugged the guitar in the output, and the input into amp. The bypass signal worked but not the circuit.

When the pedal is upside-down and open, the jacks are on the other sides (duh).
That's a freaking classic !!!! The fact that you still get the bypassed signal really can throw you for a loop xD

Reactions: spi
Back