Randall RRED...PLEASE!

Hey @PedalPCB so here’s a random question I was just thinking about in regards to the Randall RRED circuit:

Now that you’ve “reverse engineered” a RRED, and understand its components and how they behave together in the full circuit, which OTHER pedal design—either within the pedalpcb.com product roster or outside of it—is the most closely related to the RRED in terms of build and sound?!?!

Asking for a friend.

Reactions: fig
Hey @PedalPCB so here’s a random question I was just thinking about in regards to the Randall RRED circuit:

Now that you’ve “reverse engineered” a RRED, and understand its components and how they behave together in the full circuit, which OTHER pedal design—either within the pedalpcb.com product roster or outside of it—is the most closely related to the RRED in terms of build and sound?!?!

Asking for a friend.
Hey there, I can't tell you for certain about the RRED, but, seeing those four 5484s and the 1054, I would bet it's probably similar to the red channel of the preamp in the RG80/100. Circuit wise, it's somewhat similar to a lot jfet preamp emulations (PedalPCB carries a few: Boogie Monster, M800, Benson Preamp, etc). However, those are meant to emulate amps other than the Randall. I'm not familiar enough with the Randall sound to recommend anything that sounds close to it

This is just one man's opinion, but it will—IF you do one OTHER thing:

These Jfet circuits have that amazing buzz-saw string-to-string clarity in chords that you know from the first two Pantera records. But on their own, what they DON'T have is incredibly explosive pick attack or really massive gain (they are for sure high gain, but not like 5150 MkIII gain-ey).

What Dimebag did was to put an MXR graphic EQ pedal in FRONT of his Randall RG80 not just to push the amp into higher gain territory, but to emphasize the tightness and attack by carving in the upper mids and carving out the low-mids mud.

If you build yourself a Pedal PCB Dwarven Hammer, or buy a Horizon Nano-Attack...you get the rest of the way there. Pretty much does the same thing as Dime's MXR EQ with a smaller footprint and less fuss.

Note: The pcb has the incorrect board number (PCB406) and should be PCB408.
PCB406 (which was also in my order) is of course, the Low-Tide Modulator.

Just an FYI. ;)

This is just one man's opinion, but it will—IF you do one OTHER thing:

These Jfet circuits have that amazing buzz-saw string-to-string clarity in chords that you know from the first two Pantera records. But on their own, what they DON'T have is incredibly explosive pick attack or really massive gain (they are for sure high gain, but not like 5150 MkIII gain-ey).

What Dimebag did was to put an MXR graphic EQ pedal in FRONT of his Randall RG80 not just to push the amp into higher gain territory, but to emphasize the tightness and attack by carving in the upper mids and carving out the low-mids mud.

If you build yourself a Pedal PCB Dwarven Hammer, or buy a Horizon Nano-Attack...you get the rest of the way there. Pretty much does the same thing as Dime's MXR EQ with a smaller footprint and less fuss.
Available at PedalPCB : https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/dwarvenhammer/

Dwarven Hammer Mockup Pedal.jpg

Reactions: fig
Okay, got my PCB, created my own little Mouser BOM using the values on the PCB (cuz no build docs yet)...but...

Any tips on where to get my hands on real (not bullshit fake Chinese) 2N5484 jfets?

Back