Random Helpful Gizmos Thread - Share Yours!

Ginsly

What are some of your favorite little gadgets that have proven to be useful in building and/or playing? Some of my favorites are things that are not meant to be utilized in the way I wind up using them. I'd call these "hacks" but... I'd rather not. :LOL:

I got this dumb thing on clearance at Staples, and it's actually proven to be a pretty helpful third hand in certain situations. I wish the "grass" was a little stiffer, but it has it's place. It's called grip grass, evidently.
product_desktop_grip_grass_aqua_02_a.11.4.jpg
I also got this little ifixit wire splint at Micro Center that I've used a bunch. Magnetic and fairly burn-proof.

676398_673095_01_front_zoom.jpg
Outside of the normal doodads, what are some helpful, cheap things you've found around town, at Amzn, etc? I'd love to know!

Some might decry these as big 🤡 energy, but for some components I've found it quite handy.

Some might decry these as big 🤡 energy, but for some components I've found it quite handy.

Nice! It looks like it has a button on it... What would that be for?

I love these, lots of uses prying, holding things in place, jamming wires under the pcb to hide them etc etc they're just an all round cheap handy thing to have

I love these, lots of uses prying, holding things in place, jamming wires under the pcb to hide them etc etc they're just an all round cheap handy thing to have

I need to get something like this. I usually see people using hard, blue nylon ones to avoid scratching surfaces... you like the metal ones better?

Definitely I generally use them inside the enclosure especially with wired pots I'll angle the pcb back and jam them between pot lugs to stop them moving when I tighten them up

They're particularly good for getting into tiny inaccessible places and holding smd components in place stuff like that

Not specifically pedal related and not to overlap with the tools thread too much but got a pair of Vampliers about a year ago. They're pliers specifically made for screw removal. Way better and easier than alternatives. If you have work or a hobbies that run you across stripped/rounded screw heads, they're well worth the investment.
81RDN7Lr2vL.jpg
Also, posted about these a few times but love them for bench testing
No need to solder anything before boxing.
Several ways to implement into a testing rig. Note, some clamp and PCB material must be trimmed to make them fit between pots for the power connection on some builds. Use breathing protection and I recommend keeping a shop vac on and near when grinding. Don't want to breathe in fiberglass dust.
-196158084-626926174.jpg

Not specifically pedal related and not to overlap with the tools thread too much but got a pair of Vampliers about a year ago. They're pliers specifically made for screw removal. Way better and easier than alternatives. If you have work or a hobbies that run you across stripped/rounded screw heads, they're well worth the investment.
View attachment 72524
Also, posted about these a few times but love them for bench testing
No need to solder anything before boxing.
Several ways to implement into a testing rig. Note, some clamp and PCB material must be trimmed to make them fit between pots for the power connection on some builds. Use breathing protection and I recommend keeping a shop vac on and near when grinding. Don't want to breathe in fiberglass dust.
View attachment 72526
Those Vampliers look great, nothing more frustrating than a stripped screw!

As for the spring-clamp thingies - I've seen these pop up here before, and I have absolutely no idea what they're for or how one would use them...

Those Vampliers look great, nothing more frustrating than a stripped screw!

As for the spring-clamp thingies - I've seen these pop up here before, and I have absolutely no idea what they're for or how one would use them...
Instead of populating your power and IO/footswitch, you put the clamps on your otherwise populated board.
Then use Dupont wires to *water works* to bench test.
I have an old clearance enclosure with female banana ports on top, side jacks and DC on top(though I've moved to using a battery for testing most things) that I run them to.
I'll build something less cumbersome at some point but the good thing about that setup is I can test most pcb vendors board with it.
I'f I want to play though it through my main amps, Ill set the board and box on a small cutting board and carry it over to the rig.
All in all, it takes less than a minute to plug in/hookup to do a functional sanity check.
One could muse 3x clamps(1 for power) and test your 3pdt without actually soldering as well.
They're about $4 each on AliExpress.
I'll try and post a photo of I get time but a little busy tonight prepping for a trip

JIS screwdrivers.

You can almost certainly get the job done with a Philips, but they really do fit much better in the Japanese standard screws with the little dots on the heads. Really appreciating them the last few days working on some old Teac stuff.

They’re not magnetic, they just fit the screws tightly enough that they can carry a screw on the tip.

DDCA0F24-D4DA-45AB-8FB9-D8A61E338070.png
F8706E58-E107-4D81-B29F-7DBC757C6376.jpeg
CEB655A6-22B9-46B1-B353-7634234AD723.jpeg

JIS screwdrivers.

You can almost certainly get the job done with a Philips, but they really do fit much better in the Japanese standard screws with the little dots on the heads. Really appreciating them the last few days working on some old Teac stuff.

They’re not magnetic, they just fit the screws tightly enough that they can carry a screw on the tip.

View attachment 72540
View attachment 72541
View attachment 72542
I have a set I use for my old Honda. It’s a must have for that bike!

Instead of populating your power and IO/footswitch, you put the clamps on your otherwise populated board.
Ahhh I see. I kinda angle male Dupont connectors into the four pcb pads to connect to a simple circuit tester, but this sounds much, much better. I'd like to see it in action at some point!
JIS screwdrivers.

You can almost certainly get the job done with a Philips, but they really do fit much better in the Japanese standard screws with the little dots on the heads.
Whoa... had no idea! I've 100% seen this before, and 100% partially stripped them using a Philips screwdriver. Great tip.

JIS screwdrivers.

I call them the "Stoopid Amerikahn" screw.
Cause that's what I say when I strip them. Makes the Vampliers up above even more useful.

Back