Rangemaster (Manhattan style)

enrosenzweig

This started out fun and ended up being a bit stressful, especially with how busy life has been lately. Either way it's done and operating properly now!

Some time ago, I tried a Manhattan style circuit after seeing it on the Parasit blog and it was not terribly successful. This time around the process was much smoother, maybe due to a fresher soldering tip. Pretty much all of the issues that came up were the result of me leaving off components. Sleep deprivation is not conducive to quality building! Once I added in the missing capacitors and fixed the switch wiring, it worked like a charm.

I used on the piggybacking boards I made and have the hFE at ~93. I breadboarded a Ge Rangemanster using a MP35 with hFE 60 to compare. Since the gains are significantly different, I populated another piggyback board and set it to a comparable hFE. I'm going to compare that piggyback with the Ge on the breadboard soon.

Tone wise, there doesn't seem to be a world of difference between the piggybacked Si and the Ge even with the different gains. The big difference is the Si is a bit more powerful of a boost. I tried to record some examples but the audio was to poor and clipped to really get a sense of how they sound.

Summer Lane is a tip of the cap to Tony Iommi. The factory where he lost his finger tips was apparently located on Summer Lane in Birmingham. The image is just a random sketch, I doubt it looks anything like where he was working.

2.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
1.jpg

Back