Recommendations for a first time build project

Why do most people get into building pedals in the first place? I think that should be the starting point. Fuzzes are big for people that are in it, but is that why most people begin in the first place?

I also think that this should be a PPCB original / essentially public domain circuit rather than a newer circuit.
Quarantine Fuzz! An easy build, great tone and that one-of-a-kind board!!!

This is an interesting challenge…. Difficulty vs interest is the factor that needs to be balanced.

I started building recently and don’t consider myself even intermediate in electronics. I still can’t really read a schematic properly, though I can understand some of it.

IMHO parts count is not a big factor… yes it increases the chances of making a mistake, but if you can solder a resistor 10 times, I see no reason why you can’t do it 20 times.

If I look back at my “effects” journey, the first thing I wanted was distortion, but I got that from the amp I bought…. Then I wanted delay…. To me delay offered a realm of sound flexibility that no other pedal offers. So after buying my first guitar and amp, I got an analog delay.

When I started building, I already had a Boss CE-3 and an Aria analog delay, so I went for a compressor and a Wah. But my next build was a Seabed Delay.

In all honesty, its a fairly easy build and offers tons of possibilities… From what I remember, parts were easy to source….so that would be my suggestion.

On my first build, parts count was not a challenge. It was more the “collateral parts” not part of the build list that was more challenging. Simple stuff like:

- Which way does the led goes ?
- Which way does the chip goes ?
- All the useful parts not on the BOM, such as chip sockets, led bezel, power input, 1/4 jacks, pots size and type, etc.

Key to instructions is not necessarily details, but clarity. To me the PCB are so clear, that 20 pages of instruction would have frustrated me more than anything.

Also, each parts value/number needs to be labeled clearly. Yes learning to read color code is useful, but really not necessary. Every build I have done so far consisted first in putting toget all the parts clearly labeled. This is how I start, and it has been very useful to reduce my mistakes.
8C11BAF2-B73F-41EB-A8A9-EAD29B5D3E96.jpeg

This is (imo) a great idea btw. It removes a huge barrier to first-time builders, who being unsure that this will light their fire, may otherwise not pull that trigger due to uncertainty of sources, part numbers, values, packages, let alone much the pedal jargon that is used.

We all know that once they've built that first pedal and posted a build report....

it's not the circuit that's the problem, it's knowing what to do with it. I think a beginner project could take something rather simple like a RAT and hold the end user's hand from buying the board to sourcing all the parts from Tayda. ESPECIALLY parts that might seem like what you want but aren't. Maybe even different wire gauge recommendations. I still don't know when I want to use stranded or solid half the time.

IMHO parts count is not a big factor… yes it increases the chances of making a mistake, but if you can solder a resistor 10 times, I see no reason why you can’t do it 20 times.
I agree with this for the most part, there are exceptions of course.

The low parts count was more for my own benefit to keep the labor involved in packing/labeling to a minimum.

Reactions: fig
I’d recommend the Blue Breaker. It’s got a small parts list, doesn’t require any unobtainium components, and sounds great. Unlike, say, a TS808/TS9, relatively few people will already have one. And the Blues Breaker (and its derivatives) have some serious boutique cred.

If I can solder a resistor incorrectly 10 times, I can surely do it 20 times.

The more variables, the more likely an error can creep in.
At least you can't invert a resistor position. But being creative, you could put those 2 legs in a single hole!

:p

• Haha
The Lightspeed is real easy to build and sounds awesome, just a question of making a more beginner friendly build doc. All the parts are easy to source and you can even suggest other op amp than the opa2134 if the ic is too pricey for a first time builder, plus it would dip their toes into the swappable single/dual/quad op amp world.

Any circuit with opamp and no bias to do would be best.

Do like a unity gain buffer with a 12 segment LED VU meter in a 1590a so you get really good at drilling on center and you get rad lights on your board.

I built a Muroidea first and apart from some crap hardware choices on my part (plastic Tayda DC jacks that won't tighten properly 😡) it went pretty smoothly. It's a classic pedal, appeals to high and medium gainers for different usages and was a straightforward build for someone who didn't really know what they were doing.

If you sell a kit, I'd put a link to the Basic Workflow Tips thread in the print materials, that guide got me through my first couple of builds and I still go back and re-read it regularly.

I feel like the TS808, Rat, guvnator and BigMuffs are great offers as people have stated. Theyre totally what i started with too, and honestly recently ive been going back to just trying to really nail these builds after my dalliances with modulation/verb. But I also wonder if its a kind of separate business model that has its own growing pains. The idea of a prebuilt tayda cart and an accompanying video walk through for one of these pedals seems like a real organic solution as well, especially if it was collaborated by the community!

Back