REDISCOVERED! (Am I better than Josh Scott?)…

Coda

You heard it here first, ladies and gentlemen, and Big Monk. Submitted for your perusal: this past week was the first week of the Fall Semester. Friday was my first day all week since Monday that I was off (I know, right?), and I felt like building something. Now, I have several projects in the works, but they are all waiting for something…a Tayda order, matched transistors, artwork, etc…basically, if I was gonna build something, I was gonna build it from scratch…

Yesterday morning, post-breakfast: as my wife droned on about something, I started looking through the Tagboardeffects archive for something to catch my eye. And then there it was…the Sunn Buzz. The circuit dates to 1967, and is basically my white whale (or maybe white dolphin); the circuit is essentially a Maestro FZ-1a, but with Si transistors (the dolphin). I had never heard of this fuzz before (therefore I rediscovered it), and I was obsessed. By dinner time I had the circuit breadboarded, and was happy.

Today I threw together the veroboard, worked it up, and drilled a funky enclosure I got from Small Bear years ago. The circuit is stock, with one exception: I changed the output cap from 2n2 to 4n7. You get a bit more body, and a bit more punch. Other than that it is a vintage-sounding fuzz. Buzzy, raw…sounds less high gain guitar, more my old no-name tube amp that I found in a barn is about to explode…and it sounds glorious.

IMG_4378.jpeg
IMG_4381.jpeg

I am working on a clip at the moment, so calm your tits. Now go and build something!…or don’t, I really don’t care.

Is that running on 1.5 volts?
Yep. I briefly considered some sort of voltage divider scheme, but decided to go with the classic AA battery, since I had a few singe AA holders…except they are double AA holders. I’ll have to order some…

Rad!
I have a sun buzz circuit that I was playing with for a while a few years ago— forgot to ever do a layout for it, but I gotta! Very fun little circuit

Back