Release the GIMP! aka Diynot learned a new trick aka Tourbus delay

Diynot

Ok folks, I present the Hippocampus (MBP Tourbus) delay. So what to say? This is a facking awesome build project. Seriously. I had my doubts as to whether an mn300x project would sound THAT much better than a pt2399 and be worth the extra $$ in chips and having heard the hype over the memory man delays but never having played one, I can now safely say it was all worth it. And being such a lauded circuit and project I felt I need to at least TRY and go all out, including some artwork. A few days watching GiMP tutorials (not that kind ya filthy bastards) and a whole lot of hits on the undo button the hippocampus was born. Chosen because the hippocampus is a major part of the brain dedicated to memory formation which is named such because it is shaped like a seahorse whose genus name is hippocampus named after the mythological water horse. Of course there were some snafus. First was discovering that I had repeats, but no modulation. Many thanks to @Gordo for setting me straight on the use of a critical jumper. Then, because artwork was a huge component of this, the temp today is a good 15 degrees cooler than it was yesterday and my clear coat puckered in places. But this one isn’t going anywhere so I guess I’m ok with some aesthetic oddities. This is inkjet on vinyl. Vinyl is a quick and dirty Way to get things done, but def has it’s down sides. Maybe next time I’ll try some water slide. Anyways, here’s them pics:
2ED68BDE-3665-43E4-8C6D-1CEB8438C425.jpeg

9E6CAA05-6178-4F22-80B4-8C85FBDD3685.jpeg 174A2315-F178-4E10-B509-D8FDDAE94215.jpeg
If you are thinking ab doing this project, but it makes you nervous, just do it. It’s a little tedious and you need to be meticulous in your placements, but it is well worth it.

Oh man, very nice. Yeah, there’s a huge difference between the two chips. I’ve built a bunch of both, the mn series wins hands down. Madbean has (had?) a number of those type projects.

Oh man, very nice. Yeah, there’s a huge difference between the two chips. I’ve built a bunch of both, the mn series wins hands down. Madbean has (had?) a number of those type projects.
I would def try more, but the cost of mn series chips is on the upper end of my build budget. I like delay in general so the pt2399 work in most situations, but yeah, I now know you gotta have at least one mn in the stable.

Nicely done! I too was in the “not believing the hype” boat until I built the Total Recall. The DMM circuit is in its own category when it comes to delays.
Indeed. Closest I got was my first delay which was a deluxe memory boy and I’m not even sure which chip that uses. I bought into the carbon copy hype for awhile too and it was a very nice sounding delay, but this is well above and beyond those.

Indeed. Closest I got was my first delay which was a deluxe memory boy and I’m not even sure which chip that uses. I bought into the carbon copy hype for awhile too and it was a very nice sounding delay, but this is well above and beyond those.
I think the memory boy uses bl3208s. Same as the carbon copy.

Nice to see another one of these in the wild. Nicely done. Glad to see one of these that's not a dumpster fire, nice graphics too, I remember you saying that you were gonna go all out.
Thanks man! I got enough dumpster fires to deal with in this life, I have to have at least one oasis. Still don’t know that every pedal I build from here on out will always have artwork, but if the pedal inspires me then I at least cinched up my sack enough to know how to get ideas to reality. Need to start playing in Inkscape so I can do some vector files for either UV prints or faceplates.

Nice pedal. I hate you.

I'm trying NOT to jump on the TourBus bandwagon, your build-report is NOT helping my last ditch efforts...
Do it! All the cool and trying to be cool kids are doing it! Haven’t tried it with bass yet, but I’m sure it will sound just as good. I say that knowing delay on bass is a very divisive subject. You can always distract yourself with some Parasit builds like I did

That looks awesome! Purple aluminums tips it in for the win as well. I have to admit that even for someone that isn't really crazy about analog delays I'm obsessed with this project. To the point where I built up three of them, knowing full well that when I show it to a couple of buddies I'll never see it again.

Do it! All the cool and trying to be cool kids are doing it! Haven’t tried it with bass yet, but I’m sure it will sound just as good. I say that knowing delay on bass is a very divisive subject. You can always distract yourself with some Parasit builds like I did
I'm going to need confirmation on the bass/tourbus compatibility. I'm really hoping you're going to say, "it sucks on bass."

I do have a few Parasit PCBs to build up, and delay on bass is great in the right context!

Back