Replacing Electrolytic Capacitors with MLCC

melveyr

Hi All,

I have heard that MLCC capacitors have a much longer life than electrolytic, as well as other advantages in terms of low ESR and ability to handle ripple currents. I am interested in substituting some of the electros with MLCC, in the range from 1uf - 10uf where possible. Is there any reason this is a bad idea, specifically on these pedal PCB builds? I know some do not like them in the signal path, but if I understand these PCBs correctly these are almost always power supply related, right? I just ignore the polarity and install the MLCC in the place the electro would normally go?

Thanks!

Personally, I'd NOT use MLCCs for anything related to power filtering. Most signal path electrolytic caps in the 1µF to 10µF range can easily accommodate MLCC as replacements - and polarity is not an issue. It depends entirely on the placement & purpose of the specific electrolytic cap under consideration for replacement.

You are very unlikely to ever need to replace an electrolytic from years of use within a low powered pedal. Replacement issues usually stem from wrong power supplied or other catastrophic failures. Using under powered caps, or sticking a cap right next to a tube, ect. Normal usage of a pedal should practically give you a lifetime use.

I am reminded of the old adage "you can always tell the pioneers.... They're the ones with the arrows sticking out of their backs"

I'm not exactly what you would call an 'in the box' thinker, but I try not to stray too far when it comes to proven tech just to save a few pennies. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't ripple more likely in AC to DC conversion?

Thunderbird

IMG_8767-2.jpg

Back