Resistor Question

thrillhouse

Hey there everyone! First of all I am totally stoked with the huge range of projects on this page! Have already done a bunch from MadBean and other places, finding this place was just a pure gold mine of options. Annnyhoo, I went with the Cobalt and Abyss boards as the first two builds and when I sat down tonight to get started, the first thing I noticed was that the resistor spacings look like their sized for 1/8w resistors rather than 1/4w. From another post I saw that 1/8w is specified on some build docs but didn't see that noted for either of mine. Before I dig in I just wanted to verify if standing 1/4's was standard practice for these builds or if 1/8w are the preferred choice? With all the builds that I've done in the past, I've never encountered this scenario so I apologize in advance for the possibly stupid question ? !!!

THANKS!!!!!

Yeah those are definitely 1/8w spaces.

I’m not a fan of standing resistors so I have a drawer of 1/8w resistors just in case. Doesn’t mean you can’t!

I usually use Stackpole RNMF14FTCxxxx resistors from DigiKey. They are 1% 1/4W metal film, and are sized like 1/8W resistors. They are available in values up to 1Meg and fit the PedalPCB boards perfectly. They are $0.07 each if you buy 10. There are cheaper resistors, but not better ones. Sometimes I buy 1/8W 1% MF resistors from Tayda. They also fit perfectly. I have yet to run across a PedalPCB board that required resistors with a rating higher than 1/8W.

Awesome, thanks for the info!! Looks like I'm gonna have to start building a new Tayda order tonight although I'm also gonna check out DigiKey as well so thanks for that lead. Cheers!

when I started populating these boards I ordered a set of 1/8 watt 1% resistors from ebay and then replaced and ordered missing values as needed.

Back