SOLVED RESOLVED - BAD VOL POT - Valhalla Trouble. It worked before cramming in enclosure....

RobertJay

Resolved, but do we keep it here fo posterity? A lesson for all?
Maybe a little crammed? Maybe i should've isolated components and wrapped with electrical tape right away. I have no sound with footswitch activated. I spent much time investigating and double checking all component values and circuit paths before this SOS. Here's what I found..
The last point of sound with an audio probe is R22. Sound in and out of C18, in R22, and not past that. The pad from R22 going to lug 2 of the vol pot has no sound, but does have continuity. R22 (1k) does read 993ohms on the board. I'm extra curious about this, will remove and replace R22 just because. (I did and no change)
Here's another thing. I have audio at lug 3 going into the Pres pot as long as it's not fully CW. Fully CW is mute, turning the Pres pot CCW goes from Mute to quite the boost in vol at pad 3 using the audio probe. Lugs 1 & 2 have no sound. The Pres pot gives me continuity between lugs 1,2&3 when Fully CW, all lugs go to ground. When CCW, ;ugs 1&2 are connected and going to ground. I thought this might be the problem and replaced the pot which did not help. Maybe I don't really know what the presence knob does, but the Deep pot does increase the sound going CW, wouldn't the Pres?
But that R22 reading 993ohms on the board and being a stopping point for sound has to get some attention. (I did replace the 1k and was not the issue...)
I also see continuity from the dead end of R22 going to lug 2 of the vol pot. Again, maybe I don't understand pots outside of building according to the instructions. seems normal, 10k across 1&3, and 2&3, 0 from 1$2 when CCW. CW shows 0 ohms across all lugs. Is that right? more volume means opening all lugs to ground? How?

Attachments

• Valhalla Schem.pdf
    351.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I had a shorted Vol pot. All is well. I meant to delete the thread, sorry. I was being cocky enough to not send a pic while being stuck on the troubleshoot. I was close, now closer to not getting snagged next time. Thanks.

Reactions: spi
Back