Rock Star Distortion Mockup Pedal - Arriving Soon!

R2iNP-1579558349-2861-blog-columbo_catchphrase.jpg

... to build.

I heard that the Colombo Pedals Rocker 83 is "Inpired by" the distortion section of a Rockman X100,

But I feel it must be overly simplified, because it does not have a compressor and does not have Tom's "Complex filter"

So I feel that the Rock Star Distortion could be a good clone of a bad clone of the Rockman X100!

It might be better for the DIY community to replicate the X100 Dist section more closely, by having the compressor and the Complex filter in the circuit. I have all X100 schematics that have been verified, I can assist in the design of a more authentic DIST section of the Rockman X100

But I feel it must be overly simplified, because it does not have a compressor and does not have Tom's "Complex filter"

It's based on the distortion stage only, and not a 1:1 clone.

No compressor, no filter... The Burg's demo is a bit misleading because there is a good bit of additional processing going on aside from the pedal itself.

The Proposition is a much better, although far more complex choice for the authentic Rockman tone. It does include the compressor and filtering, and sounds fantastic in front of an amp... much better than an X100 into a guitar amp (in my opinion).

Last edited:
Just picked this one up for my first pedal build. Any ETA on build docs? I may be able to wing it as the values are very conveniently printed on the pcb, but I still want to make sure I get it right for my 1st build. I may just hold off until docs are published.

Thanks in advance

Just picked this one up for my first pedal build. Any ETA on build docs? I may be able to wing it as the values are very conveniently printed on the pcb, but I still want to make sure I get it right for my 1st build. I may just hold off until docs are published.

Thanks in advance
Just go for it!

View attachment 33819

Hey Music6k, I think "Edge" and "Dist." might be reversed in this mockup. (Am I right about that?)

I just built mine based on this mockup. HOWEVER (big caveat,) I wired my toggle off-board, so there's a good chance my brain got twisted as I wired it up.

Only mentioning for other people who are wiring theirs now or creating graphics before they build it.

Incidentally, since the word “EDGE” feels arbitrary, I'm not even inclined to unbox mine and reverse the switch. I was unsure if “edge” meant more distortion, or less distortion. On the Colombo, it means LESS distortion.

In my mind, “EDGE” means you're on the verge of going overboard—you're coming off the rails—letting loose in a torrent of pure fury. So I'm OK with having wired it backwards. :ROFLMAO:

Back