Rude Awakening, unpleasant surprise, calamity fuzz

Stickman393

This one took a fair amount of tweaking to get right. I selected the lowest IDSS values I could find in a batch of about 20 authentic original J201s...and holy what the hell oh my god I love this thing.

It just sounds so....*broken*. Just...I love it when I come across a pedal that truly does something I've never heard before while still being undeniably musical.

Highly recommended. Make sure you test your Jfets first though.

IMG_20210823_053421_69.jpg

Great stuff!

Loved seeing this developed in your CNC thread, too, but wait, what's this???

NO GUT-SHOT!?! 🧐

Love love love the splash of blood-red under the "Grind" switch.

Gut shot coming! I'm just...lazy...

CNC is daunting. I'm in the process of upgrading my Z axis carriage right now...the new one will allow me to adjust z level by hand...but it also is fitted with 10mm linear bearings. My machine uses 12mm guide rails...yeesh.

I might be able to get away with some low profile 12mm bearings, or boring out some 10mm polymer bearings...I've got like, four different options on their way right now.

I've got three tube-based pedals in the works...an Uber tuber, the new drive, and a tube driver clone. Gonna be carving out some nice view windows soon!

Gut shot:

IMG_20210823_211926_63__01.jpg

I haven't quite hit my stride with my wiring yet, I'm thinking I'm going to start using bare buss wire between the footswitch and the PCB. I like the way it turns out on other builds I've seen posted here.

I'm also starting to experiment with a combination of solid and stranded wire...we'll see how that all turns out here.

I was able to jam a 1uF PPS cap on the output...schweet. others are mostly Polypro, with a C0G thrown in there and mylar in filtering roles.

PRP PR series resistors and vishay RN55'S AND CMF55's...I think that second series beer is correct.

Enclosure...took three passes on my CNC. first pass got progressively deeper on the y axis, so by the time it got to the footswitch it completely faded away. So it took a couple of passes on my mini mill with a fly cutter...the top half of the knobs were still there after I shaved away about .1mm...So I ran the program again, except from the bottom half of the knobs down.

Welll....that came out well, but the damned thing flexed into the N while it was engraving the I in "grind", so that it read "Grnd". Yeesh.

Given the distressed aesthetic, though, I figured that I could run the I through again, knowing that the I wouldn't line up perfectly...cause hell, it's not supposed to be perfect.

So I did. Coat of black dupli-color engine enamel, 400 grit sandpaper, Viola!

I should really take another photo without it being covered in UHMWPE dust...

Back