SOLVED Sabbath Distortion Issue...

Coda

I have a new (to me) issue with a Sabbath Distortion (Sabbra Caddabra). The pedal works, and distorts a treat. However, the tone/timbre of the distortion is not quite what I would normally expect. The pedal is very fuzzy...almost buzzy. With the Range control at min I can get a bit of octave out of the higher notes. There is also a bit of ducking on the attack. I have SK193's for the JFET's, and a 2n5088 for Q1. I have tried many combinations, and these transistors work best.

I will get some pics up soon...I'm right in the middle of double checking component values. In the meantime, has anyone else ever experienced this type of issue? I have had a pretty bad success rate with pedals as of late.

Solution
Do you have the stock transistors? I’ve got one built and it squeals like crazy when I turn it on. My fix is to pick it up and slam it back down. Works every time. I should probably troubleshoot it some day

Update: I had a 820k where an 820R should be. Replaced the issue (which was more work than it should have been, since I couldnt clear one of the pads, and then proceeded to break all but three off-board wires), and the pedal now works as it should...

...except for a rather intense oscillation/squeal. Since it now works, I'm going to go back and start plugging in JFETS to see if I can get it in a usable state.
Do you have the stock transistors? I’ve got one built and it squeals like crazy when I turn it on. My fix is to pick it up and slam it back down. Works every time. I should probably troubleshoot it some day

Update: I had a 820k where an 820R should be. Replaced the issue (which was more work than it should have been, since I couldnt clear one of the pads, and then proceeded to break all but three off-board wires), and the pedal now works as it should...

...except for a rather intense oscillation/squeal. Since it now works, I'm going to go back and start plugging in JFETS to see if I can get it in a usable state.

Solution
Back
Top Bottom