SOLVED Scythe Fuzz No Fuzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didgafac

Hello all,
I’ve build several boards before and never come across a problem I can’t figure out myself but during my most recent build (Scythe Fuzz) I have run into an issue I can’t seem to resolve.
Upon testing everything seemed to work fine, LED lights up, clean sound goes through when in bypass, when switched on the level pot adjusts the level and the tone pot adjusts the tone as normal but my fuzz pot seems to be having an issue.
When the fuzz knob is turned to max I get a very harsh fuzz sound (as expected when cranked to max) but as soon as I turn it down past 4 o’clock or so (~90%) I loose all sound and signal very quickly. Turning the fuzz knob back to max will give me signal again but having a fuzz petal that only operates between 90-100% is fairy annoying.
My thoughts are that either I used the incorrect value potentiometer, or that I am having an issue with my germanium transistor.
The build docs called for an AC176 transistor so I used a NOS Soviet GT404A (using old Soviet parts was probably my first problem). I don’t have much experience with germanium transistors so I am hoping someone here could enlighten me as to what my problem might be.
I can provide a photo of my board if needed but since 2/3 of my board works I feel as though it’s not an issue with my soldering or resistor values.

Thank you all in advance!

Reactions: fig
Thanks so much for the reply!
I actually figured this one out this morning, turns out these old Soviet GT404A transistors have their emitters and collectors backwards (from what I’m used to). I desoldered my transistor and flipped it “upside down” and everything works as it should now.
Thanks again for hearing me out and giving me a response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back