Seabed Delay & Pythagoras/Threeverb - "Slothelope" & "Foxelope"

jstreetny

These were my third and fourth builds, respectively.

SEABED
Had to go back and reflow the in/out joints - as I got it to work at first, but then it went completely silent even in bypass. I'm glad I got the helping hands with the magnifying glass! Way easier to see bad joints. I ordered a bunch of knobs at once, so they're all bigger than I wanted and obscure the labels on all of my builds.

IMG_0072.jpg

For some reason I totally forgot to order 180K resistors for R2, so I used a handy dandy parallel resistor calculator to figure out what to put there so I didn't have to wait.

It's not in this gutshot, but I also went back and added a couple of 1/8 15K resistors as a dropdown to get rid of a pretty gnarly pop. I feel like it brought the volume way down, but I was testing through headphones, so I'll check it when I can play full out.

There's also a bit of... I wouldn't call it static. Low-grade interference? It's just not completely clean. It's subtle, but definitely there. Could that be from a shoddy parallel resistor job? This was there before I added the dropdown.

IMG_0073.jpg

Pythagoras/Threeverb

This one may have been my favorite. I opted for the pre-soldered Spin FV-1, since I'm pretty green. After my issues with the Seabed, I tried to slow down and not rush through. I still hate waterslides.

IMG_0093.jpg
This is a great sounding pedal. I finished it up late and had to test it through headphones - but I can't wait to put this one through its paces. This pedal is good times.
IMG_0094.jpg

There should be a 1m ish resistor between input and ground to remove the pop and the low frequency interference can be mitigated with a big electrolytic cap between 9v and ground. Typically it's a 47uf or 100uf but pedals like the red llama use a 330uf there to filter off the noise from the PSU.

You can increase the value of this cap which should help. Since building a red llama I've used 330uf caps as power filtering in other builds and it really helps.

There should be a 1m ish resistor between input and ground to remove the pop and the low frequency interference can be mitigated with a big electrolytic cap between 9v and ground. Typically it's a 47uf or 100uf but pedals like the red llama use a 330uf there to filter off the noise from the PSU.

You can increase the value of this cap which should help. Since building a red llama I've used 330uf caps as power filtering in other builds and it really helps.
The pulldown I added removed the pop. To address the interference I have a couple of spare large caps, I think - so I'll try that. Thanks!

Are the repeats noisy, or just constant noise? Just a thought, there’s variation in the performance of pt2399 chips, some can be quite noisy on the repeats.

Are the repeats noisy, or just constant noise? Just a thought, there’s variation in the performance of pt2399 chips, some can be quite noisy on the repeats.
You know - I think it's the repeats. I socketed it, so I'll try another one and see if that helps. Thanks!

Back