Semi Sweet Distortion (Cornish SS-2) - Update

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I put this together a couple of days ago but hadn't yet posted a build report.

I read through a lot of threads that I could find and I think maybe I probably should have read some of the general "meh" attitude about this build before ordering it.
-I also discovered AFTER ordering it that there's an SS-3 board as well.

So a couple things about this build. Starting with the enclosure. This was an experiment with fixing a botched enclosure that I drilled incorrectly very early on in my pedal building. It's been sitting on my bench mocking me. I finally decided to do something with it after reading some suggestions here.

I patched the botched drill holes with JB Weld Marine epoxy (all I had on hand for boat repairs).
Painting it was an exercise both in learning experience and frustration. It's been 3 different colors and has been sanded back at least 4 times because something crinkled.

It actually needs to be sanded back again to fix a couple of spots but I decided to call it good and decided to use it.
It's that same Hyacinth Blue color rattle can left over from the herb shelf I built for my wife and also what I used on my Space Heater and Black Eye builds.

The enclosure was originally sand textured black, so I had to knock that down a good bit for the new paint to adhere. A couple coats of primer, a couple coats of the color and a couple coats of clear gloss.

I have a couple of other drilled but unused enclosures that I may "fix" now that I've got some experience doing it.

Regarding the pedal itself, super easy build and went together fast. Fairly simple circuit that in some ways resembles 2x DOD250 circuits.
Kinda sounds like it too.

I read a lot of comments about how the SS-2 is "bass heavy" and that the SS-3 revisions addresses this with a bass cut.
I'm not experiencing this at all, I find it to be a super bright pedal. Could be that I goofed somewhere but overall it's a bit of a disappointing sounding pedal to me.

I used a pair of HG5003 GE diodes that measured in the mid 300's on my GM328 tester. It doesn't sound like the Ge's kick in unless the gain is dialed pretty high, but that's where it sounds best to me. I have the gain around 3 o'clock, the tone almost all the way CCW and I can get a nice creamy distortion.

Otherwise, with the gain dialed back, it's mostly the opamp clipping I'm hearing and it's brash, harsh and trebly sounding to me.
Again, pairing this with the right guitar and amp is going to be a factor. Sounds better with a darker guitar like my PRS 594.
Not sorry I built it, there's some good sounds to be had in this pedal, you just have to work for it:)

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

@PedalPCB, can you confirm this is a revised layout and I have my electrolytics oriented correctly?
I "think" I would not have boogered all 4 caps but now I'm second guessing myself.
It's reversed from the build docs.

Update: I've been chatting offline with @music6000 about this circuit. He built his on Vero and made some changes that he suggested to me to address some of the shortcomings.

1. I swapped the B50K Sustain (Gain) pot to a C50K. Apparently this is a popular mod and it does make the gain sweep much more usable. It's not all stacked at the end of the range.

2. Changed the input cap (C1) from 10n to 22n. This has less of an effect for me in terms of tone. But I did seem to lose a bit of output.

So I really do like the way this pedal sounds but it's only at a very small range of settings. For me, it's VOL = 2-3 o'clock, Gain = 2-3 o'clock, Tone = FULL CCW to barely cracked.

It sounds really good with hum buckers at this setting and works well with Les Paul type guitars like my PRS 594.
On my Strat if bridge pickup if I roll the tone off and roll the volume off a skootch I can get some nice Gilmour-esque sounds.

Thanks for the tips Phil!!

What I am reading is "this is another drive pedal which will not get used because I have a rocking KoT clone" :D

But on a serious note, I was tempted to breadboard this without committing to a PCB because of the lack of good feedback. I think I can skip the breadboard now..

Update: I've been chatting offline with @music6000 about this circuit. He built his on Vero and made some changes that he suggested to me to address some of the shortcomings.

1. I swapped the B50K Sustain (Gain) pot to a C50K. Apparently this is a popular mod and it does make the gain sweep much more usable. It's not all stacked at the end of the range.

2. Changed the input cap (C1) from 10n to 22n. This has less of an effect for me in terms of tone. But I did seem to lose a bit of output.

So I really do like the way this pedal sounds but it's only at a very small range of settings. For me, it's VOL = 2-3 o'clock, Gain = 2-3 o'clock, Tone = FULL CCW to barely cracked.

It sounds really good with hum buckers at this setting and works well with Les Paul type guitars like my PRS 594.
On my Strat if bridge pickup if I roll the tone off and roll the volume off a skootch I can get some nice Gilmour-esque sounds.

Thanks for the tips Phil!!
Did you change the Resistor R102- 150K to 180K?
You should have increased low end & no loss of volume by increasing C1 - 10nF to 22nf?
Without knowing the updated PCB, I dont know if the Electro's are in the correct position.

What I am reading is "this is another drive pedal which will not get used because I have a rocking KoT clone" :D

But on a serious note, I was tempted to breadboard this without committing to a PCB because of the lack of good feedback. I think I can skip the breadboard now..
There's definitely better builds to get you to that sound for sure. I'm wondering about the SS-3 now....heh

Did you change the Resistor R102- 150K to 180K?
You should have increased low end & no loss of volume by increasing C1 - 10nF to 22nf?
Without knowing the updated PCB, I dont know if the Electro's are in the correct position.
Ahhh crap, I forgot about R102. I knew I was forgetting something.....hahahah

Electro's are correct, confirmed by Robert. I just think it's a "meh" circuit to begin with, Pete Cornish notwithstanding.....heh.

I
Ahhh crap, I forgot about R102. I knew I was forgetting something.....hahahah

Electro's are correct, confirmed by Robert. I just think it's a "meh" circuit to begin with, Pete Cornish notwithstanding.....heh.
I know the Electro's are all turned 180 degrees but are they still in the same order.
The Top left Electro was 22uf, Now its the smallest Cap ie10uf going by your build.
The only reasoning would be that you have a way bigger Voltage on the 10uf or the updated PCB has moved them around?.

Ahhh I see what you're asking. No, that's actually a "micro" 22uf:) I found them at Electronic Goldmine.
Super small. Below is compared to a more typical size 22uf.

IMG_3476.JPG

The Old configuration was:
22uF.............. 100uF

10uF...............10uF

What are the values now in your Build?

Back