Shatterbox Schematics

Jiberjew

Hey everyone! I'm looking to design a PCB for a shatterbox style pedal. I've been looking around for some ideas, but can only find PNP schematics, when I want to use NPN so I can use a power supply instead of a 9 volt battery. Has anyone stumbled across these? I want to get a Marc Bolan type of sound. I would build a Zonk Machine, but I like the boost that the shatterbox has. On another note, has anyone seen or built a Dallas Rangemaster? That would also be something I'd like to pair with the shatterbox. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm looking to design a PCB for a shatterbox style pedal. I've been looking around for some ideas, but can only find PNP schematics, when I want to use NPN so I can use a power supply instead of a 9 volt battery. Has anyone stumbled across these? I want to get a Marc Bolan type of sound. I would build a Zonk Machine, but I like the boost that the shatterbox has. On another note, has anyone seen or built a Dallas Rangemaster? That would also be something I'd like to pair with the shatterbox. Thanks!!

I don’t what Marc Bolan tones you’re after but it’s probably not going to need a fuzz.

Dirty amp with a Rangemaster maybe but nothing like a Shatterbox would have been involved.

I don’t what Marc Bolan tones you’re after but it’s probably not going to need a fuzz.

Dirty amp with a Rangemaster maybe but nothing like a Shatterbox would have been involved.
I'm looking for the tone he had on Electric Warrior. I'm sure a Rangemaster was there. I've read he used a shatterbox, not specifically on Electric Warrior though. I've never played one, so I'm unfamiliar with the tone's it produces. Thats why I would love to build one. And hey, If its not the tone I'm looking for, at. least I can add another fuzz pedal to my collection. And I don't see an issue with that haha!! I would love to get my hand on, or build a Rangemaster as well. But, that might be out of my league with price and building experience.

Electric Warrior doesn’t sound very fuzzy to me.

Likely a smaller amp cranked up pretty good.

But if you are just looking to build some fuzz, don’t let me stop you!

Shatterbox is definitely more of a S/T T. Rex sound. It's cool but I don't think marc bolan when I hear one haha.

A rangemaster is probably one of the easiest things you can build, go for it!

The Shatterbox is just a Zonk II and a HS Treble boost together. if you don't know how to convert a PNP schematic to NPN, you could build one to the schematic and use a charge pump to handle the power supply issue, or you could build an NPN fuzz face and an NPN rangemaster and just sub the relevant cap and resistor values to those of the Zonk II and HS Treble Boost.

the only T Rex songs I can think of at the moment with blatant Shatterbox usage are 'The Time of Love is Now,' 'Beltane Walk, 'Is it Love,' and *maybe* the very beginning of 'Diamond Meadows'
I haven't seen much to suggest that he used the fuzz side of it after that very much in the studio, nor does it sound like it to me. I've heard that he was a fan of stacking a rangemaster with the HS treble boost side of the shatterbox though-- I think maybe in a post from Tony Visconti on FB a few years ago. if you wanna go super accurate, the HS treble boost has a few cap value differences i think, and doesn't have a level pot on the output. Otherwise, you could try a germanium rangemaster and a silicon rangemaster, and have a go at stacking them.

Back