Shielded input/output cable - recommendations/where to buy?

mkstewartesq

Hi, all:

I'm getting some LFO ticking in my chorus (Aion Azure); I've unboxed it and the only way to make it go away is to move the input output cable much farther away from the board than is possible when the effect is in the enclosure. This tells me I should have used/need to replace with shielded cable. Can anyone recommend some and a source to purchase? When I search in most online places I just find wire that I don't think is what I'm looking for (e.g., 4 wire cabling). It's probably going to be best practices for using shielded wire in my next couple of builds anyhow (flangers/phasers, etc) so I might as well stock up.

Side question- as a stop-gap measure until I can replace the wiring, would it work to use copper foil tape on the input output wires, grounded at the jacks?

Thanks,
Mike

I know several members have posted links to their preferred single conductor (plus shield) wire, so hopefully they’ll chip in. Here’s a link to a post of mine about making your own short lengths.

Foil wrapping should work. Yes to inly grounding at one end. Make sure the foil doesn’t contact anything that ground would short circuit.

I know several members have posted links to their preferred single conductor (plus shield) wire, so hopefully they’ll chip in. Here’s a link to a post of mine about making your own short lengths.

Foil wrapping should work. Yes to inly grounding at one end. Make sure the foil doesn’t contact anything that ground would short circuit.
Hey, thank you for that. I tried the copper tape and it did work to eliminate the ticking as a stop-gap- but, as you intimated, I'll need to shrink-wrap it. Not causing any grounding issues right now but leaving it uncovered in the enclosure is just like leaving a bomb that will go off sooner or later and require opening and reworking, so might as well deal with it now.

Mike

Here's what I bought:

If you just need a piece, drop me a message with your address and I'll throw one in the mail.

Thank you. And I appreciate the very kind offer - but if I decide to go with what you bought, Amazon can have it to me in a day for $7, so it doesn't make sense to put you through the hassle of packing a piece up to send to me (but, again, I very sincerely appreciate the generosity).

Two question about this, if you don't mind.

- how does the inner conduct compare size-wise to 22AWG/24 AWG? Is it easy to makew this work with PCB solder points?

- I've used (larger) varieties of this type of wire for patch cable - but in that use you ground both ends. When only grounding to one end, what do you do with the =shielding at the ungrounded end? (To illustrate, I assume you strip the outer sheath and then solder the inner conductor in its sheath to the PCB or 3PDT - do you just get rid of any stray shielding up to where you stripped the outer sheath to avoid inadvertent grounding?)

Thank you again,
Mike

- how does the inner conduct compare size-wise to 22AWG/24 AWG? Is it easy to makew this work with PCB solder points?

The inner wire is 26AWG, so it's a bit smaller.

- I've used (larger) varieties of this type of wire for patch cable - but in that use you ground both ends. When only grounding to one end, what do you do with the =shielding at the ungrounded end? (To illustrate, I assume you strip the outer sheath and then solder the inner conductor in its sheath to the PCB or 3PDT - do you just get rid of any stray shielding up to where you stripped the outer sheath to avoid inadvertent grounding?)

On the jack side I strip the outer casing back an inch or so and twist the shielding braid together and tin it. Then I strip the actual wire back a bit and that's the end i connect to the jack side:

PXL_20230428_143706080.jpg

On the other end, when I strip the outer casing, I try to remove as much of the braid as possible and then I head shrink around the braid and the inner wire so that there aren't any accidental shorts by fuzzies from the braid (excuse the out of focus photo).

PXL_20230428_143735145.jpg

On the jack side I strip the outer casing back an inch or so and twist the shielding braid together and tin it. Then I strip the actual wire back a bit and that's the end i connect to the jack side:

View attachment 47258

On the other end, when I strip the outer casing, I try to remove as much of the braid as possible and then I head shrink around the braid and the inner wire so that there aren't any accidental shorts by fuzzies from the braid (excuse the out of focus photo).

View attachment 47259
That's all EXACTLY what I needed to know - thank you! I'm going to order today. So I order everything - what size heat shrink are you using in the bottom pic? 1/8" or something bigger?

M

That's all EXACTLY what I needed to know - thank you! I'm going to order today. So I order everything - what size heat shrink are you using in the bottom pic? 1/8" or something bigger?
1/8" should be work. The outer diameter is a bit under 3mm.

View attachment 47258

View attachment 47259
I'm currently trying to eliminate oscilation in a Nobleman build. I upped the gain pot value, and now, past a certain level on the gain or tone knobs I get oscilation...

I saw coax as a suggested fix, but wanted to confirm I was barking up the correct tree first

Hi, all:

I'm getting some LFO ticking in my chorus (Aion Azure); I've unboxed it and the only way to make it go away is to move the input output cable much farther away from the board than is possible when the effect is in the enclosure. This tells me I should have used/need to replace with shielded cable. Can anyone recommend some and a source to purchase? When I search in most online places I just find wire that I don't think is what I'm looking for (e.g., 4 wire cabling). It's probably going to be best practices for using shielded wire in my next couple of builds anyhow (flangers/phasers, etc) so I might as well stock up.

Side question- as a stop-gap measure until I can replace the wiring, would it work to use copper foil tape on the input output wires, grounded at the jacks?

Thanks,
Mike
My plan is to use a piece of excess guitar pickup wire from one of my pickup swaps... should be the same concept, no?

Back