Significant volume drop on Zapper

allsmoke

Hi all,
Not sure if this is a troubleshooting or mod question, but I think it's troubleshooting. Anytime I build a pedal, I set all the knobs to noon and see how close I am to volume without the pedal active. To get to unity volume I almost have to crank the volume the whole way up. That seems like it should not be the case.

Any advice on how to correct this?
Thanks all

Here's a gutshot
Hi all,
Not sure if this is a troubleshooting or mod question, but I think it's troubleshooting. Anytime I build a pedal, I set all the knobs to noon and see how close I am to volume without the pedal active. To get to unity volume I almost have to crank the volume the whole way up. That seems like it should not be the case.

Any advice on how to correct this?
Thanks all

Attachments

• 20230531_160030.jpg
    20230531_160030.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 19
I
Have you checked the board for accidental solder bridges or even solder spatters? have you cleaned the flux off the board so you can actually see the solder joints?
Yeah, I've done all the usual troubleshooting. I may need to go back to see if I have mixed up some resistor values but not sure where to start there

I had the same problem, but I'm pretty sure that's just the way this circuit is; it's not exactly high-gain, and putting it right in front of a clean amp is unimpressive and seems really quiet. Putting it before a dirty amp or overdive, on the other hand, gives the advertised results. For my setup, I found a usable range with the Zapper's gain knob all the way up, volume just right of middle. I think I'll open it back up and swap that A50k gain pot for an A250k though

I had the same problem, but I'm pretty sure that's just the way this circuit is; it's not exactly high-gain, and putting it right in front of a clean amp is unimpressive and seems really quiet. Putting it before a dirty amp or overdive, on the other hand, gives the advertised results. For my setup, I found a usable range with the Zapper's gain knob all the way up, volume just right of middle. I think I'll open it back up and swap that A50k gain pot for an A250k though
Built this and was highly unimpressed with the circuit on its own other than the "cocked wah" potential. Will try stacking and report back on level.

My circuit has unity gain around 10:00 with Gain all the way up. It's not a very gain-forward pedal and the clipping is anemic. No breakup, really, unless gain is full CW, freq is about 10:00 and bandwidth is full CW.

Stacking into other pedals seems to add a bit of flavor and the fixed wah sounds, but not much else to my ears.

Why not just a wah? Rare circuit or not, it's still pretty meh to me.

Back