Six-Banned EQ (WARNING: Graphic Content šŸ˜œ)

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Not too many build reports of the 6 band graphic EQ project around here. Time to amend that.

So, letā€™s start with an explanation of the design:
Itā€™s a graphic EQ, so this should be pretty self explanatory. Facebook has (used to have? Idk, I did this graphic around a year ago, and I donā€™t use Facebook much these anymore) a content filter that greys and blurs out graphic imagery (gore/violence/whatever) and puts a little warning with a crossed-through eye symbol. Looks like this:
So anyway, my concept was to take this ā€œgraphic contentā€ warning, and apply it to a GRAPHIC EQ. You get my drift? So then I also called it the Six-Banned EQ because of Facebookā€™s notoriety for issuing temporary bans on accounts for some pretty innocuous stuff (They issue a pretty staggering number of bans for posting homemade Talking Heads and King Crimson memes, believe it or not) while leaving legitimately objectionable content up. Matched the font as closely as I could (I found that Coolvetica surprisingly was a better match to Facebookā€™s current system font than Helvetica, which was what they used to use before going with a custom typeface), wrote a cheeky little taje on the warning, drew up an eye that would fit a 3mm led as the pupil, and got it printed up by Tayda.

Unfortunately there were two mishaps:
the first being that my drill press (an old Rockwell from the 1940s I believe) deflected when I was drilling the led hole, so it wound up slightly oval, and a bit higher than I planned
The second being that apparently Taydaā€™s matte grey powder coat is prone to chipping around holes. The edges of the pilot holes for the sliders were flaking like nobodyā€™s business, but luckily they all get covered by the faceplateā€” the led hole slightly flaked too though, which is a slight bummer since thatā€™s the focal point of the graphic.

Slider slots took a lot of work. 108 center punch marks, 108 tiny holes to drill, two hours of careful dremeling with a metal cutting disc, and easily 3-4 hours of gradually filing with jewler files and checking the fit over and over again. Next time I will not hesitate to just cut out a single rectangular hole and clean it up with a file.

As for the build, it was of course a simple one. Had to dip into my WIMA stash since I didnā€™t realize I didnā€™t have a few caps in the cheaper grey poly boxes. Would have been cool (and unintentional) to keep the all grey theme going on the inside, but the WIMA caps make me feel fancy, so itā€™s all good. I used the suggested W20K sliders with a center detent since the B50K have been unobtainable for years now (getting pots was the biggest hurdle in this build. Luckily Tayda had the W20K pots in stock when I ordered the UV prints back in December), and the pedal functions exactly as I hoped for. Iā€™d highly suggest amending the build doc to say that the W20K are a perfectly functional alternative.

Anyway, itā€™s a lovely sounding EQ. Quiet as a dead church mouse. I highly recommend building it. If the pot available is all that was dissuading you, no need to worry as the alternate pot value is perfectly good.

If youā€™d like to scroll through some mildly Ʀsthetic progress shots and stuff, here you go!

Demo clip forthcoming.

Last edited:
I've thought about building one of those, and it looks like soon Tayda is adding lines to their drill tool for squares, rectangles, etc. It's in the experiment section, but not the main section yet... that that would kick start me in a heartbeat!

Edit: Here's a quick and dirty run through with the line tool - obviously you'd have to set the width correctly with additional lines, but it should be fairly straightforward

Tayda Line Tool.jpg

Last edited:
That's really an awesome build both in concept, aethestics and execution. Does this have any kind of boost function? (Doesn't look like it). I think I need one of these. :)

Edit: I clicked on this post originally because I thought Nick was posting some naughty pictures that this forum was filtering out.......

I've thought about building one of those, and it looks like soon Tayda is adding lines to their drill tool for squares, rectangles, etc. It's in the experiment section, but not the main section yet... that that would kick start me in a heartbeat!

Edit: Here's a quick and dirty run through with the line tool - obviously you'd have to set the width correctly with additional lines, but it should be fairly straightforward

View attachment 27351
I'd build this in a heartbeat if I could order the enclosure pre-slotted.......I've never used Tayda's drill service but this would be one I would. Don't think I have the patience for "108 drill punches..." :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Awesome to see Tayda may be coming closer to adding the slot feature in the near future! Would definitely be appreciated on a few builds I have planned that use a fair number of sliders!

Back