SMD Scream Machine can make a decent sound, but the controls are not operating correctly.

jcpst

Hey guys. Baby’s first SMD build. Even with a clumsy tip, I managed to get it assembled. Here’s the behavior.

• Volume: seems to work fine.
  • Gain: knob does nothing at all.
  • Tone full CW: lower than unity and the high end is cut off.
  • Tone full CCW: all the mid and high end is there, it’s a bit louder than unity, and it has a nice crunch.
It took me a long time to decide the orientation of the IC. I wasn’t able to see a dot. But I did notice one side had a longer slope. But it not having the dot made me suspicious…

The other thing I did was a substitute for 1uf caps. I didn’t find any, so I stacked 470+470+68uf and made a little parallel tower with them.

Since there are more tube screamers on the planet than people, I thought this might be a scenario that people may have come across. Apologies if this pops up in a forum search and I missed it.

It’s pretty small stuff, so let me know if I need to grab a detail shot.

IMG_1377.jpeg

First I'd do a thorough inspection of the parts, because I'm not gonna decipher that for you lol. Then I'd solder the breakout board input jack and board out pads a bit more, looks like they're barely hanging on. Next I'd scrub the board. Then I'd take some DMM measurements of the transistors.

EDIT: The cap towers are sus too, you can change the coupling caps in a TS to 470n without many repercussions (if any)

The resistor values look correct. There's no way to visually inspect the SMD capacitors.

Make sure there are no solder bridges between any of the pins of the IC.

Got a DMM? Let's check something...

Turn gain all the way down, measure resistance between pins 1 and 2 of the opamp.
Turn gain all the way up, measure again.

Turn gain all the way down, measure resistance between pins 1 and 2 of the opamp.
Turn gain all the way up, measure again.
Gain down, 40.5k
Gain up, 54k

Then I'd solder the breakout board input jack and board out pads a bit more, looks like they're barely hanging on.
They’re on there pretty good- I see what you mean, I think it’s bad lighting on my part.

maybe try with a continuity tester just to be sure, something is definitely funky with the gain pot/that area. I have working tubescreamer circuits in front of me and the resistance goes from 50k min to 500k max between pin 1-2

Back