So, someone gave me a malfunctioning RAT 2

megatrav

They told me I can keep it and fix it and mod it.

So, I plugged it in to see what was happening. The LED comes on and there is sound. It is very very low in volume and the volume pot doesn't appear to have any affect. The distortion and filer controls seem to work.
I am wondering if this would just need a new volume pot?
What should I be testing?
Can it be fixed?

Any advice on what to test would be appreciated!

I will get some pictures up if I can manage to get the knobs off. Time for the old spoons trick I guess haha
Ok ... but prepare to buy replacements ... in order to stand your best chance at not pulling the shafts out of the Chinesium pots you'll want to heat the knobs up quite a bit first ... whether it softens any potential glue or it is just thermal expansion working in your favor, it saves money and time spent waiting on replacements

Ok ... but prepare to buy replacements ... in order to stand your best chance at not pulling the shafts out of the Chinesium pots you'll want to heat the knobs up quite a bit first ... whether it softens any potential glue or it is just thermal expansion working in your favor, it saves money and time spent waiting on replacements
I don't have a heat gun so should I use a soldering iron or try using like a hair dryer?

hair dryer probably ... I went one at a time on this effort and used a shot glass full of boiling water and dunked the knobs in there (yes, turned the pedal over and dunked one knob at a time) long enough to heat them up for removal ... which if you are unsteady or generally clumsy is ill advised as water (let alone hot water) and electronics tend not to mix ... but I only learned this trick after destroying my first set of Chinesium rat2 pots

Back