Soldat Distortion (Providence SDT-2), GCI N.E.W HM-2, Frequency Interchange Filter

eh là bas ma

I built the SDT-2 because i like some SDT-1 variant very much, so i wanted to try it.

It's a great distortion able to get heavy on the low frequencies, just as i like them. It's quite different from the GCI Bass Brutalist which is based on the SDT-1. The gain texture feels a bit more precise and "conventional" on the SDT-2, in my opinion.

I wonder if there are some other interesting quad op-amps that i could try in there ?

TL74, TL64, TL84, do we have other options ?

It's not very heavy on the mids, just as i like them.

I think i still favor the SDT-1 variant, but we'll see in a few months if it's still the case.

Looks like this is the first build report about the Soldat Distortion, so i will probably add a sound sample to this report in the future.

For the artwork, i chose to build my own white washer for the 3PDT, with a piece of plastic from an ice-cream box. I chose to give it the shape of a faceplate, but it is intended to be a sophisticated plastic washer, out of deference and loyalty for this amazing little tool. The letters are phosphorescent.
IMG_20240205_093145.jpg

IMG_20240205_093120.jpg

GCI N.E.W HM-2 is amazing. I won't elaborate about it because HM-2 are popular and well known.

Let's just say that the extra controls are very useful to me, the blend control opens the possibility to use it with a bass, among other things.

IMG_20240205_093305.jpg
IMG_20240205_093247.jpg

I built the "Frequenzy" Interchange Filter inspired by a thread about bass effects on this forum. I think it was @Passinwind who said it was very useful to tame the low end and get a sharper signal, if i understood correctly.

I hope it will help me to incorporate and mix the bass a bit more smoothly with drums and guitars.

Just finished this one so i can't give my opinion yet. I will edit this build report later, to say a few words about it.

The build itself was very easy, i think this project could even be suited for beginners, although PedalPCB soldering pads are a bit narrow for unexperienced builders.

Edit : I took the time to play with this effect, i am surprised and impreesed by the results. I thought any Bass knob would be able to cut some low frequencies and essentialy do the same thing, but i was wrong.

I tried it toward the end of the signal chain, after some bass overdrives, distortions and fuzzes. Carving into the signal, there is a wide range of interesting sounds, looks like i am going to be quite addicted to this little circuit. It feels like every bass gain effect will sound better if i use this HP/LP filter.

IMG_20240205_093231.jpg
IMG_20240205_093209.jpg

Last edited:
Back