SOLVED SOLVED - Fuzzy Fox - Low Volume and Hissing

Recently put together a Fuzzy Fox and it is very hissy and low volume when on. It is definitely not working right. The voltages line up with what has been posted in GGG and other forums for each transistor. I have also checked all the cap values and resistor values. Wondering where I might start looking for the problem? Next step will be to take the board our and look for any solder bridges, but my soldering is generally ok. Thoughts? I can post board pictures soon too.

Reactions: fig
Recently put together a Fuzzy Fox and it is very hissy and low volume when on. It is definitely not working right. The voltages line up with what has been posted in GGG and other forums for each transistor. I have also checked all the cap values and resistor values. Wondering where I might start looking for the problem? Next step will be to take the board our and look for any solder bridges, but my soldering is generally ok. Thoughts? I can post board pictures soon too.
Post a Good quality picture of the PCB & Components so the resistors can be clearly seen!

Here is the board. Lots of rosin on the back... I have just cleaned that off. I'll give it a try in a bit to see if that has anything to do with it. Otherwise, what are people's thoughts for a starting point? I can do the "reflow all joints" just to check as well.

Attachments

• Fuzzy1.jpg
    Fuzzy1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • Fuzzy2.jpg
    Fuzzy2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • Fuzzy3.jpg
    Fuzzy3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • Love
Yeah, definitely check the orientation of the diodes. Plus, if memory serves, the FoxX Tone Machine circuit can be a bit noisy anyways. Try running it first in your chain to see if that helps.

After using my clone, and a couple different commercial clones, I guess it's not a very loud fuzz.

I don't want to affect the sound by changing the clipping germanium diodes, so I plan on modding that recovery stage. It seems like an easy solution, I hope.

Here is the board. Lots of rosin on the back... I have just cleaned that off. I'll give it a try in a bit to see if that has anything to do with it. Otherwise, what are people's thoughts for a starting point? I can do the "reflow all joints" just to check as well.
Sorry missed seeing the follow up & Pictures!
Looks like all the Components are correct.
Does the pedal work fine in Bypass mode?
The other Members are correct that some of the Germanium Diodes use the Stripe as Anode so they may all be facing the wrong way.

Back