DEMO Some 2-in-1 content (Chop Shop+Chorus)

This post contains an audio or video demo

jwyles90

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Hey all!

Been a while since I posted a build report. I finally finished my Master's degree, so I suddenly have all this free time on my hands. I've still been building a few things here and there, but for the last 6 months or so I've been pretty swamped with getting that degree finished while still working full time and all that. I did manage to put together this 2-in-1 build a little while back that was a lot of fun. It's got the Chop Shop on one side and a "Mind Warp" vero build on the other. Overdrive into Chorus is one of my favorite combos, so I thought it would be cool to try out these two together.

The Chop Shop is one of the older revisions of the board. From what I can tell, it has a more noticeable Sag effect compared to the newer one, which I'm personally a big fan of. The chop shop is one of my favorite lower-gain drives, and I especially love the way the sag knob impacts the sound overall.

The Mind Warp was a pt2399 based modulator layout I found while scrolling through Dirtbox Layouts. It's pretty out there in terms of sounds it can make, and is generally not the kind of chorus I'd reach for but it has its moments. With the rate and depth down it can get into some nice "traditional" chorus territory, but the rate speed range on this thing is pretty ridiculous, so anything beyond that lower rate setting can get real seasick real fast. I did find this cool ring-mod type sound with the rate blasted though, so that paired with the Chop Shop was an interesting little bonus.

I also put an order switcher in there, but the difference is fairly subtle with these two. Also, forgive my rats nest on the inside. I'm still trying to dial in my vero wiring. I've been spoiled by PCBs!

The first sound clip is a more tame, traditional setting for both the chorus and Chop Shop. The second clip gets into that weird ring mod-y territory.
Clip 1
Clip 2 IMG_0303-PhotoRoom.png IMG_0294-PhotoRoom.png

Congrats on the fancy paper!

That swooshy wave graphic feels perfect for a chorus. Extra points for a modulation build on vero!

Hey man! What's up with Streamable? The demo on this sounds great, and it reminded me that I always like your sound clips. I used the fancy new build reports page to go back in time to try and replay some, but the ones on the current lover and one of the White Light ones have gone AWOL. Your clip on the White Light/ Irrlicht sold me on getting that board and it's one of my favorites.

Congrats on the fancy paper!

That swooshy wave graphic feels perfect for a chorus. Extra points for a modulation build on vero!
Thanks!! Yea the vero took a bit of tinkering to get right. I had to desolder the LDR since the one I initially used wasn't the right value, so it sounded all wonky and weird. Wound up socketing it to try out a few different values before I got it right (and of course forgot to write down which value I wound up using 🤦‍♂️).
Hey man! What's up with Streamable? The demo on this sounds great, and it reminded me that I always like your sound clips. I used the fancy new build reports page to go back in time to try and replay some, but the ones on the current lover and one of the White Light ones have gone AWOL. Your clip on the White Light/ Irrlicht sold me on getting that board and it's one of my favorites.
So I just use the free version of Streamable, and I think they delete uploaded clips after a certain amount of time. I have all of the clips saved on my Mac though, and also post them to my Instagram when i make them. I should probably find a different audio-uploading platform that doesn't delete them after a bit. I just haven't gotten around to it yet, and Streamable has always been pretty easy to navigate.

Congrats on burning the candle at both ends! I know what that’s like and I hope it pays off for you. Nice looking build too!

Congrats on burning the candle at both ends! I know what that’s like and I hope it pays off for you. Nice looking build too!
Thank you!! It's definitely a huge relief to have finally finished it. Feels weird to not have any kind of work or assignments to do outside of my own personal projects though 😅
Wow that first clip has me sold! This is an awesome pedal man! Awesome build!
Thanks! I had lots of fun putting it together. OD and Chorus are probably my favorite combo, so I might have to start messing around with different variations on that theme.

Damn, I need to start listening to all of my clips at once now then!

I do that sort of thing fairly often, listening to multiple clips at once... I should do it more often, I've made some great discoveries that way.

Looking forward to your next build report.

Back