Something about MXR Distortion 2

NickC

i was reading this article about MXR Distortion 2

https://catalinbread.com/blogs/kulas-cabinet/mxr-distortion-ii ,

i have a "Made by Mike" clone that doesn't sound bad but honestly I've never listened to an original one, and from what I see in the pictures the circuits don't look the same.
I read that Mike has modified the circuit according to his tastes, i don't know if anyone owns an original one and could tell me if they actually sound the same.

a 100% clone would be nice.

Attachments

• mxr.jpeg
    mxr.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 26
  • madebymike.jpeg
    madebymike.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 25
I built a clone a few years ago and tried both the stock and Made by Mike mods.

There's definitely an audible difference.

by chance I found this schematic online, so I just need to change those 6 components to get closer to the stock sound? @PedalPCB

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-19 at 20.34.44.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-19 at 20.34.44.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 24
I used that layout some years back, and tried both stock, and Mike's components. It's been a while since I played through it, but I seem to remember Mike thought it was far too bassy. I'm fine with that, so I stayed with the stock setting. I also think the real ones ran at higher than 9v.

Mike also sold them in a dual enclosure with an op amp Muff for the Pumpkins sound.

Revisiting my old build, I see Res#1 on row B (ground) , where all schematics I've seen say it should go to Vref , which is row C. The layout I used looks just like the one posted by NickC, except the filter lugs are reversed.

The only clone PCB's I know of are BYOC and Lectric FX

The original could be pretty bottomy but I think that contributed to the massive Smashing Pumpkins sound. The lack of volume was a common complaint on the originals. Even the clones I've built had a very limited range. LectricFX did a really nice board that helped but still hard to get past unity volume. I've never played a Mike version.

The original could be pretty bottomy but I think that contributed to the massive Smashing Pumpkins sound. The lack of volume was a common complaint on the originals. Even the clones I've built had a very limited range. LectricFX did a really nice board that helped but still hard to get past unity volume. I've never played a Mike version.
Yeah, I had an original and it’s a unique sound to be sure. Verrrrry speaker dependent.

Capable of some nice lower gain tones on its own, but stacks with a muff like nobody’s business.

i had the made by mike, i sold it because it only had one decent setting, otherwise it was weak. As for the pumpkins i think their gear information is full of half truths, i don't think the mxr dist 2 was used on all solos but only on a couple at most, like the use of mutron biphase.

i had the made by mike, i sold it because it only had one decent setting, otherwise it was weak. As for the pumpkins i think their gear information is full of half truths, i don't think the mxr dist 2 was used on all solos but only on a couple at most, like the use of mutron biphase.
Yeah I was quite content to sell mine to a collector and turn the proceeds into like 4 home built pedal projects.

Back