Sourcing LM301AN

So C12 is the compensation cap between pins 1 and 8 on lm301/308, OP07, etc.

What happens if you have C12 populated with an opamp like the LM741 or TL071 that doesn't need a compensation cap? At least with the LM471 and TL071, pin8 is "NC", the datasheet says "do not connect". I know you're supposed to leave that pin open, but if it's internally not-connected, it shouldn't matter, right? Pin1 (again for the LM741 and TL071) is offset null voltage.

That's what sockets are for.

Socket not only the op-amp, but the compensation cap, too. Then you can also experiment with different size caps, 22p, 30p, up to... check the data sheet, I think you can go as high as 60-ish.

Another option is trim-caps. Like trimmer-resistors, you can get trimmer-caps in the PF range. I don't recall the exact values of my pF caps, but I've got a bunch of different sizes of adjustable caps from about 5pF up to 120pF.

2c2912055b4e30315b300875bb53982f.jpg

Install a trimmer-cap and just dial it down to zero, see if anything bleeds through; again, check the datasheets of the trim-caps, variable capacitors may have a minimum setting that still bleeds through a bit, in which case...

... back to sockets.

Back