Sourcing LM301AN

steppenbar

Got a Cattle Driver PCB and was wondering if there was any good source for the LM301AN? or what is a good alternative. Haven't had much luck googling the usual parts websites. Hope this is the right forum for this type of thread. Thanks!

All of these are pin-for-pin compatible single opamps that should work just fine in place of an LM301

LM201 - Slew = variable; BJT
LM301 - Slew = variable; BJT
LM308 - Slew = 0.3V/µs; BJT
LM148 - Slew = ~0.5V/µs;BJT
LM4250 - Slew = variable; BJT
LM709 - Slew = 0.25V/µs; BJT
LM741 - Slew = 0.5V/µs; BJT
LM748 - Slew = 0.5V/µs; BJT
OP07 - Slew = 0.3V/µs; BJT

If you want the LM301AN, Jameco LM301AN has them . . . .

This is an interesting alternative, not sure exactly what the deal with Alfa is (anybody who has the scoop I’d love to hear!) but they do “version”s of the LM301 in both DIP8 and metal can formats, and they also do their “version” of a CA3080.

I bought some AS301s with my last order from AmplifiedParts and just built a Rat with one, and it did the Rat thing.

For $2 I’ll for sure pick up some more

honestly, if you aren't going with the lm308, just go with a 741and skip c12. there's nothing special about the 301 other than it is a poor substitute for the 308 in rat-like circuits

This is an interesting alternative, not sure exactly what the deal with Alfa is (anybody who has the scoop I’d love to hear!) but they do “version”s of the LM301 in both DIP8 and metal can formats, and they also do their “version” of a CA3080.

I bought some AS301s with my last order from AmplifiedParts and just built a Rat with one, and it did the Rat thing.

For $2 I’ll for sure pick up some more
Thanks for the heads up, I forgot about amplified parts. I think I'll stick with my 308s but definitely want to try their CA3080s

All of these are pin-for-pin compatible single opamps that should work just fine in place of an LM301

LM201 - Slew = variable; BJT
LM301 - Slew = variable; BJT
LM308 - Slew = 0.3V/µs; BJT
LM148 - Slew = ~0.5V/µs;BJT
LM4250 - Slew = variable; BJT
LM709 - Slew = 0.25V/µs; BJT
LM741 - Slew = 0.5V/µs; BJT
LM748 - Slew = 0.5V/µs; BJT
OP07 - Slew = 0.3V/µs; BJT

If you want the LM301AN, Jameco LM301AN has them . . . .
That's super informative! I do have a few 308s and 741s

You better test them because Jameco is known to sell bad parts and their customer service policy is "tough shit."

TL071 is a good sub for LM301 in this pedal. You definitely want a low-noise opamp.
I'll check it out! Also thanks for the heads up on Jameco. I'm still a newbie so I'm not very familiar with a lot of things yet.

honestly, if you aren't going with the lm308, just go with a 741and skip c12. there's nothing special about the 301 other than it is a poor substitute for the 308 in rat-like circuits

So C12 is the compensation cap between pins 1 and 8 on lm301/308, OP07, etc.

What happens if you have C12 populated with an opamp like the LM741 or TL071 that doesn't need a compensation cap? At least with the LM471 and TL071, pin8 is "NC", the datasheet says "do not connect". I know you're supposed to leave that pin open, but if it's internally not-connected, it shouldn't matter, right? Pin1 (again for the LM741 and TL071) is offset null voltage.

TL071 is a good sub for LM301 in this pedal. You definitely want a low-noise opamp.

The TL071 has a much higher slew rate (13U/usec for the TL071CP), dramatically higher than e.g. LM308. My understanding (quite possibly incorrect!) is that, at least with the Rat, part of the tonal character comes from that super-slow slew rate. The Cattle Driver clipping arrangement is different than a Rat though (soft clipping in feedback loop vs hard clipping to ground).

FWIW, I actually have two Cattle Drivers. They both have LM308N in them (if I'm not mistaken, that's what the Buffalo TD-X has). In one of my builds, I swapped out the LM308N for a TL071CP. Side by side, there was definitely a difference. To me, with the TL071, the max "overdriven-ness" ceiling seemed a little lower, and and it also seemed a little "crispier" with a little more emphasis in the highs. I was afraid to leave it in there, though, per my question above, I'm not sure if it's a problem to have the 47pF across pins 1 and 8 on the TL071.

So C12 is the compensation cap between pins 1 and 8 on lm301/308, OP07, etc.

What happens if you have C12 populated with an opamp like the LM741 or TL071 that doesn't need a compensation cap? At least with the LM471 and TL071, pin8 is "NC", the datasheet says "do not connect". I know you're supposed to leave that pin open, but if it's internally not-connected, it shouldn't matter, right? Pin1 (again for the LM741 and TL071) is offset null voltage.

The TL071 has a much higher slew rate (13U/usec for the TL071CP), dramatically higher than e.g. LM308. My understanding (quite possibly incorrect!) is that, at least with the Rat, part of the tonal character comes from that super-slow slew rate. The Cattle Driver clipping arrangement is different than a Rat though (soft clipping in feedback loop vs hard clipping to ground).

FWIW, I actually have two Cattle Drivers. They both have LM308N in them (if I'm not mistaken, that's what the Buffalo TD-X has). In one of my builds, I swapped out the LM308N for a TL071CP. Side by side, there was definitely a difference. To me, with the TL071, the max "overdriven-ness" ceiling seemed a little lower, and and it also seemed a little "crispier" with a little more emphasis in the highs. I was afraid to leave it in there, though, per my question above, I'm not sure if it's a problem to have the 47pF across pins 1 and 8 on the TL071.
Hmmm interesting, I have a TL071 in mine, but I do have a 308 gifted to me by @swelchy. I was saving it for a rainy day:) I can't hear the difference between a 308 and OP07 in my Rat, I might have to try it in the Cattle Driver.

Back when I built my first (of three total) Cattle Drivers, I had some issues, and @music6000 was helping me debug it. He said he has an actual TD-X, and it has an LM308N. Presumably both (possibly even others) were used during production.

Nice looking guts on that TD-X though!

An LM301 will not slew-rate limit in the Cattle Driver. The soft clipping diodes don't allow the output voltage to swing far enough to slew-rate limit in the audio freq range. I don't doubt you hear a difference between the TL071 & LM301A, I just can't explain why you're hearing it.

My LM308Ns came from eBay, so it's quite possible I have fakes. My TL071CP is TI-branded from Digi-Key, so reasonable chance of being legit. I have LM301A as well, but those are also eBay sourced. <shrug>

Not everything from eBay is :poop:.

An easy test to see if an opamp is even in the ballpark is to measure the current into the +power pin. Connect the -input to the output, connect the +input to 1/2 Vcc. LM308's are low power. Their typical power supply current is between 250uA and 300uA when powered from 9V. Fakes will draw more current than that.

DigiKey, Avnet, Arrow & Mouser are authorized distributors. They guarantee the authenticity of the parts they sell.

Back