Squidward + Cream Pie Fuzz = Puffer Fish

jeffwhitfield

Lately, I've been exploring octave pedals. I finalized my search though and ended up with a Foxrox Octron3, an absolutely fantastic analog octave up/down pedal.

However, I still ended up with a Squidward board in the process. The idea was to replace my Parentheses Fuzz with a stand-alone octave pedal that could be added to a Rat or whatever other distortion pedal, adding flexibility while still only taking up two spots. I honestly don't use the boost much in the Parentheses but still love the octave plus the Rat distortion. I have two other Rat-based pedals so...why do I need a third? So, yeah, stand-alone octave would solve that problem.

I was gonna put it in a stand-alone enclosure but, considering how small it is, I figure it could live with another pedal in the same enclosure. Since I had the Cream Pie Fuzz board as well I took a chance and put the two together. Boy oh boy, was that ever a good chance! Each of them by themselves sound like you would expect. But add them together and you end up with something that is down-right gnarly...even more gnarly than the Parentheses!

But where it gets real interesting is when you try them on a bass guitar. The Cream Pie responds quite well to a bass guitar. Doesn't appear to cut the low frequencies much at all so it cuts right through just fine with a heavy amount of fuzz to boot. The Squidward by itself is interesting. It doesn't add any octave effect...but what it does do is add a lot of harmonics, thickening up the sound. Engage both and, holy shit, all hell is unleashed! Doom machine for the win! :D

Will post some audio clips soon.

IMG_0189.jpeg
IMG_0190.jpeg

New enclosure design plus a slightly different internal layout. While building a few of these for sale on Reverb, I quickly realized that it wouldn't be possible to attach the Squidward with headers. So I just wrapped it in some non-conductive tape and called it a day. :p

As for the design, I wanted something that was just silly. The graphics I found on VectorStock seemed to fit the bill. That crab and crawfish look pissed! :p Along with that, I changed the labels a little just for fun.

UV printing was done through AmplifyFun.

IMG_0405.jpeg
IMG_0406.jpeg
IMG_0407.jpeg

Awesome! I love the cute graphics.

Are you going to be building more of these? I have an idea for ... something ... that might interest you.

You wouldn't happen to have an audio clip would you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! I love the cute graphics.

Are you going to be building more of these? I have an idea for ... something ... that might interest you.

You wouldn't happen to have an audio clip would you?
I have two that I’ve built. Will post an audio clip soon. Did a recording a few weeks back. 👍

Reactions: fig
Here ya go, chief! I was tired when I recorded the guitar so...don't be too hard on me. :p

Also, if. you have something in mind, feel free to message me. Would love to hear it. :D

Those bass fuzz sounds are very tasty!

giphy.webp

Back