Steggo's Take on the Boneyard Emerald Green Overdrive

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I've really loved all of the Boneyard designs I've breadboarded and/or made PCBs for so far. They have all been great, but there are a couple so far that jump from great (A Tier) to amazing (S-Tier). The first of those was the Timbre Man - dang I love that thing. The second is this one.

Viridian Gryposaurus - 01.jpg

As you can see from the PCB above, the Emerald Green Overdrive has a few more parts than my most recent previous Boneyard adaptation, the Silvasaurus. Most of the parts are fairly standard. I'm using my normal mix of 1% tolerance metal film resistors and mostly 5% tolerance film capacitors. There are a couple of 470nF film capacitors that I think may be 10%. Most of the heavy lifting on the circuit is done by three transistors and two hard clipping diodes. The original transistors from the Emerald Green Overdrive are out of production, but I was able to find a few to use in my build.

Viridian Gryposaurus - 02.jpg

The rest of the construction of the pedal followed my normal method. I'm using my 3PDT daughter board with the LED and current limiting resistor onboard. The daughter board is run to the main PCB with ribbon cable. All of the wires running power, audio, and ground are aviation grade wiring - all of which is insulated with heat shrink tubing where they connect with the jacks.

As per my normal procedure I went ahead and added a few Easter eggs to the board including the "Because who doesn't love dinosaurs?" tag line and a gryposaurus icon. What I forgot to add was the "original design by Celestial Engineering" credit which I add to all Boneyard designs. I would blame Steggi as she did the layout, but then she'd look at me... like this:

Steggi.jpg

... so I just owned up to it and moved along.

Viridian Gryposaurus - 03.jpg

I did, however, come up with what I think is a solution until I can get more boards made. Honestly I like it so much I may start doing it on other Boneyard designs. I laser etched Celestial Engineering credit to the back of the enclosure. Given none of the Boneyard designs I've made have batteries, this way people will actually get to see the logo.

Viridian Gryposaurus - 04.jpg

For the enclosure, I once again enlisted my friend Kate in Ukraine to create an amazing green Gryposaurus. It took some time to find a background that worked with the dinosaur - and I spent a fair amount of time consulting with Kate before we got to the final product. That being said, I wanted to do something different as I'd done a lot of "Greek" themed enclosures, and I think this version really came out pretty cool!

As to the sound. As I said before, this is one of the pedals that hits that "amazing" tier. It sounds so good I'm likely going to finally break down and try and record my own demo of it - and suffer the ridicule of the guitar playing public as I fumble my way through. Once I get the demo together, I'll post a link.

Original blog entry (with more preamble and dino facts): https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2024/04/another-amazing-overdrive-steggos.html

Last edited:
Back