Stock GE7 to XTS Version?

So...I've spent some time looking at this modification a bit further and I think I've answered one question but brought up another.

I used this site to calculate and verify the frequencies on the original (and bass version) Boss pedal, including the incorrectly labeled 6.4k value everyone seems to find. I also did some comparisons to the MXR pedal as well. This seems like the correct method and formula, so designing the circuit for the center of each adjusted frequency seems to work.

The next problem is determining the Q factor (aka quality or bandwidth). This is key in determining the width of frequencies affected. I went down a major rabbit hole, including: calculating Q for Boss & MXR pedals, calculating Q for rack mount 15 & 30 band equalizer schematics I could find, reading thesis papers, reading patents, etc!

Why does this matter? When changing the gaps between frequencies, keeping the Boss Q values while changing to different gaps between frequencies may not create a desired outcome. Below shows the difference between a wide width (low Q) and therefore large overlap with bands and small width (high Q) and therefore small overlap with bands.
1692647329661.png 1692647348129.png
"Opting for a high Q will preclude control over the larger frequency gap, while opting for a low Q may result in large internal gains for the closely spaced bands"

What I found in my journey was a large variation in Q for octave-based graphic EQ design. I assume this is due to the designer making offsetting choices when determining their design. For the Boss pedals, Q typically ranged between 3 and 4. MXR between 2 and 3. I saw some rack mount EQs in the 5's. And these are all for octave EQs with the same frequency spacing! Now change it to randomly spaced frequencies selected by a Nashville session guitarist - who knows how they selected their Q values!

What surprised me was the lack of information online on circuit design strategy and the factors that should go into choosing a Q for a given frequency range. I found the straight conversion formula / table and one could theoretically convert the distance in frequency to the Q factor but the 5 circuits I analyzed were always larger than these conversions, meaning they look like the 2nd picture above and will have gaps in adjustment between frequencies.

1692653934498.png 1692654138917.png

I think options here are:
1. Someone who has purchased an XTS modded GE-7 provides the component values online (hoping, but hasn't happened and pedal out for years)
2. Someone provides references or guidance on how to chose a Q value when given a frequency range, whether straight conversion or other, and this guidance is followed to provide an optimum overlap with the XTS frequencies. I spent several hours searching and couldn't find anything. I'm sure this answer is lying in many out of print textbooks, somewhere.
3. I'm going to continue to hunt down 2/3 octave (in rack-world 15-band) graphic equalizer schematics and see if there's consistent approach and post a design here. If anyone else has a schematic on hand, I'd love to see a reply. This would not be an exact XTS replica, but instead would follow what I've found to be a standard frequency range of 400Hz, 630, 1k, 1.6k, 2.5k, 4k, with the option of having 250 on the bottom or 6.3k on the top for the 7th frequency. I'd probably opt for 250 on bottom. This may be the route I take anyways, since this feels like a nice halfway point between the XTS and Boss version.

I just purchased a CE-2B / GEB-7 combo on eBay for a steal and the GEB-7 will make a perfect donor pedal for the conversion, so looking forward to working this project!

So...I've spent some time looking at this modification a bit further and I think I've answered one question but brought up another.

I used this site to calculate and verify the frequencies on the original (and bass version) Boss pedal, including the incorrectly labeled 6.4k value everyone seems to find. I also did some comparisons to the MXR pedal as well. This seems like the correct method and formula, so designing the circuit for the center of each adjusted frequency seems to work.

The next problem is determining the Q factor (aka quality or bandwidth). This is key in determining the width of frequencies affected. I went down a major rabbit hole, including: calculating Q for Boss & MXR pedals, calculating Q for rack mount 15 & 30 band equalizer schematics I could find, reading thesis papers, reading patents, etc!

Why does this matter? When changing the gaps between frequencies, keeping the Boss Q values while changing to different gaps between frequencies may not create a desired outcome. Below shows the difference between a wide width (low Q) and therefore large overlap with bands and small width (high Q) and therefore small overlap with bands.
View attachment 54952View attachment 54953
"Opting for a high Q will preclude control over the larger frequency gap, while opting for a low Q may result in large internal gains for the closely spaced bands"

What I found in my journey was a large variation in Q for octave-based graphic EQ design. I assume this is due to the designer making offsetting choices when determining their design. For the Boss pedals, Q typically ranged between 3 and 4. MXR between 2 and 3. I saw some rack mount EQs in the 5's. And these are all for octave EQs with the same frequency spacing! Now change it to randomly spaced frequencies selected by a Nashville session guitarist - who knows how they selected their Q values!

What surprised me was the lack of information online on circuit design strategy and the factors that should go into choosing a Q for a given frequency range. I found the straight conversion formula / table and one could theoretically convert the distance in frequency to the Q factor but the 5 circuits I analyzed were always larger than these conversions, meaning they look like the 2nd picture above and will have gaps in adjustment between frequencies.

View attachment 54962View attachment 54963

I think options here are:
1. Someone who has purchased an XTS modded GE-7 provides the component values online (hoping, but hasn't happened and pedal out for years)
2. Someone provides references or guidance on how to chose a Q value when given a frequency range, whether straight conversion or other, and this guidance is followed to provide an optimum overlap with the XTS frequencies. I spent several hours searching and couldn't find anything. I'm sure this answer is lying in many out of print textbooks, somewhere.
3. I'm going to continue to hunt down 2/3 octave (in rack-world 15-band) graphic equalizer schematics and see if there's consistent approach and post a design here. If anyone else has a schematic on hand, I'd love to see a reply. This would not be an exact XTS replica, but instead would follow what I've found to be a standard frequency range of 400Hz, 630, 1k, 1.6k, 2.5k, 4k, with the option of having 250 on the bottom or 6.3k on the top for the 7th frequency. I'd probably opt for 250 on bottom. This may be the route I take anyways, since this feels like a nice halfway point between the XTS and Boss version.

I just purchased a CE-2B / GEB-7 combo on eBay for a steal and the GEB-7 will make a perfect donor pedal for the conversion, so looking forward to working this project!
Wow! You really have dug in to this!

I probably could borrow an XTS modded GE7 and take a look inside. It might be a few weeks before I can get it though.

It's a guy I don't see very much and he forgot to bring it. We have some group plan to jam that keeps getting push back because off people getting sick. But I'll be better at reminding next time :)

Although you could be right, it might be easier for them to just replace the pcb.

I have it!

Since it's not mine I'm trying to be delicate with it and not scuff it up but let me know if there's more angles to photograph or ask a question about a part value.

Attachments

• IMG_7790.JPG
    IMG_7790.JPG
    871 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7792.JPG
    IMG_7792.JPG
    524.9 KB · Views: 17
I have it!

Since it's not mine I'm trying to be delicate with it and not scuff it up but let me know if there's more angles to photograph or ask a question about a part value.
Nice!! There's a white box cap that I cannot see the value in the first picture.
If you take as much pictures as you can from different angles, and drop them in a google drive or similar. I would gladly go through them and write a diagram/document with the changes in the mod.

(ideally, unscrew the sliders board, to see all the missing components)

Last edited:
Back