Stone Age Distortion - Qotsa and beyond…

Petethefuzz

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
IMG_1174.jpeg
IMG_1154.jpeg

Build went smooth. Was missing a 1m5 resistor so had to make an approximation with two in series. Thought I had bought a 1590b enclosure but it was the smaller size like the ehx nano enclosures. That madefor a tight fit with the top mounted jacks but all is well. Also my 470 cap was huge so had to put it on the other side of the pcb.
It’s a decent od pedal. Not a lot of gain but it’s intended to shape/push the tone of a tube amp with som breakup and it does that well.
I can get very close to a similar tone with my Haunting Mids clone so I guess it’s very much an eq thing with this pedal. The gain seems to blend very nice with my amp (jtm45 based).
It does the QOTSA thing quite well. To me that sound is a combo of bite, low mids and a bit of cocked wah feel. People think it’s fuzz and loads of gain but not to my ears.
It’s also a nice pedal for zeppelin stuff etc. Lots of bite. The more I fiddle with it the more a like this pedal. Thinking about building one with a green ringer style analog octave up in front of it in a bb enclosure. That would really be Josh Homme in a box.

Back