DEMO AionFx Ember Distortion (Amptweaker Tight Metal)

This post contains an audio or video demo

owlexifry

ordered this for myself, but ended up building it for a friend’s birthday gift.

i had high hopes for this circuit, it’s definitely gotten a lot of praise around many parts of the internet.

IMG_3104.jpeg

it’s really hard to make fair assessments of pedals like this when i’m a lot more used to better tools for the job (real tube amps, amp sims+IRs), so i compared it to a couple other similar high gain preamps/distortions (REVV G3, SLO pedal) to get a ‘baseline’.

IMG_3114.jpeg

opinions:
- 18V mode is mandatory. 9V almost sounds unusable to me. wtf.
makes a huge difference imo.
- i don’t really like the big muff style tone control on circuits like this. a proper tonestack would be nice. regardless, it works and sounds ok.
- ‘gate’ controls like this are stupid and i don’t like them. chokes the hell out of the tone and makes it sound like shit.
metal nerds use proper standalone gates anyway, stuff like this is really unnecessary.
- the ‘tight’ control is more subtle than i thought it would be, adjusts a bit than just lows, cuts into low-mid territory too, and that’s ok.
- the ‘style’ toggle switches between the two different pedal circuits ‘Tight Metal’ and ‘Tight Rock’ - the circuits are just that similar they can be switched on a dpdt.
the switch essentially functions as a mid scoop toggle. lmao.
i actually like the rock mode better. metal mode is a bit too scooped for me.
- yep ‘mids’ is a mids scoop toggle.
- ‘boost’ is sick. it’s like another channel. the high gain channel i guess. sounds better than the alternative imo.

it’s got a heck of lot of volume on tap (in 18V mode at least, 9V mode may as well not exist, and it's an insult to the mighty LT1054)

i reckon it sounds best into FX loop vs in front of amp.

here’s a very rushed demo, had to get this one banged out quickly late at night before tomorrow when im giving it to my friend. i still haven’t had a chance to try boosting it with an OD808 yet, but i might get to tomorrow.. (like most distortions, i reckon it’ll sound better with the sweet caressing love that comes from a mid-boosting overdrive)

overall, i guess it's pretty good for what it is. it had a better bite than the REVV G3 (vero clone), SLO pedal is good but it only has like x1 good sound. at least this has a variety, but is all that variety useable? depends on the user i suppose.
somehow i still think the pussy melter is better than all of them. i never expected to be saying this but here we are. still yet to do a brown betty build.

Last edited:
I built this thing back in Jan, I didn’t really play with it a lot,(a little more than just functional testing) seemed decent enough for a pedal. I’m with you one the tone stack, I would trade all the setting and options for a tried and true TMB. So there it sits on the shelf. One of these days I might actually give it a proper audition. I wanted to really love this pedal but it failed to hold my interest.

I built this thing back in Jan, I didn’t really play with it a lot,(a little more than just functional testing) seemed decent enough for a pedal. I’m with you one the tone stack, I would trade all the setting and options for a tried and true TMB. So there it sits on the shelf. One of these days I might actually give it a proper audition. I wanted to really love this pedal but it failed to hold my interest.
i’ll be honest, after all the praise i saw on SSO for this supposedly being one of the best options for a solid state high gain preamp… im underwhelmed.

Sounds pretty good to me. I'm working on one right now. Any values you would change from stock?
no idea, i haven’t really studied the schematic that closely.
mods would depend on what you want from it that the stock circuit won’t give you.
i guess you could possibly look at the tone control circuit block and see if improvements can be made there?

i’ll be honest, after all the praise i saw on SSO for this supposedly being one of the best options for a solid state high gain preamp… im underwhelmed.

no idea, i haven’t really studied the schematic that closely.
mods would depend on what you want from it that the stock circuit won’t give you.
i guess you could possibly look at the tone control circuit block and see if improvements can be made there?
What’s SSO?

Back
Top Bottom