Stripboard to Schematic to Breadboard. Good/Bad?

@vigilante398 mentioned DIY Layout Creator above. I just downloaded it and took 20 minutes to play around whipped this up. I'm sure it can be much more compact than this, but not bad for a first time :) . This is a LPB-1. I think the more I play with it the better I'll get in terms of density. Just like breadboarding and guitar!
Nice work. I'd suggest avoiding standing resistors (if possible) to help with visual inspection. Check out the tagboard layout here and see how they use the resistor pitch to hop over rows. It's definitely a different way of thinking, but it makes sense after making a few layouts.

EDIT: You'll also want to consider adding power filtering and polarity protection. Many stripboard layouts don't include these elements.

I agree. I can't stand the standing resistors on a vero layout! Sometimes I can get away with folding a resistor over to make it look like it is flush with the others if I have to jump 3 rows instead of the standard minimum 4.

As for my first layout from DIY Layout Creator, it's just like your kid's first art project: you love it because they made it. Not because it's good :LOL:

Looks good, obviously practice makes better and you'll get even faster. I haven't touched DIYLC in a while, but I thought I remembered there being a way to make the resistors "lay down" even on smaller runs. It defaults to making them stand up to a certain length.

But yeah I really like it as a program. Not as powerful as the other CAD software out there, but super intuitive and user-friendly, and gets the job done. Not to mention free!

Not to mention free!
The cheap ass in me loves it!

It took me a good 5 minutes how to navigate around in it. It's pretty user friendly as long as you have a good basic understanding of circuits. I'm having trouble trying to save anything. Maybe that's why it's free?

The cheap ass in me loves it!

It took me a good 5 minutes how to navigate around in it. It's pretty user friendly as long as you have a good basic understanding of circuits. I'm having trouble trying to save anything. Maybe that's why it's free?
That's strange, you should be able to. What problems are you encountering?

Looks good, obviously practice makes better and you'll get even faster. I haven't touched DIYLC in a while, but I thought I remembered there being a way to make the resistors "lay down" even on smaller runs. It defaults to making them stand up to a certain length.

But yeah I really like it as a program. Not as powerful as the other CAD software out there, but super intuitive and user-friendly, and gets the job done. Not to mention free!
If you set the lead spacing to 2.54mm it shrinks the image to fit laying down.

Have you installed the program, or did you double-click the downloaded file and run the app from there?

I'll add this, as it was downloaded from an "unknown developer", some operating systems require you to grant authorization to run the application, and sometimes for disk-writes, etc. I had to tell MacOS to run the program against it's better judgement. ;)
Windows 10 isn't as bad a nag.
Unbuntu leaves it up to you.

Storyboardist (Effects Layouts) has a set of correctly-sized components you can download for DIYLC. Makes it easier to figure out whether something is actually going to fit in the real world...

As Vigilante398 said, laying out "vero is a different way of thinking". I haven't practiced it much, because I find it quite frustrating. My brain just doesn't jive with vero very well, and my layouts are either larger than they need to be or long and skinny.

Creating a layout that allows the circuit to work well (no hums/pops/whistles etc), is compact, minimises cuts & jumpers, flows and makes sense... well, that takes some skills indeed.

I mostly use DIYLC for quick-sketching perf and schematic ideas, case in point — as discussed earlier in the thread, the ol' sawasherooniki — there's a vero for it, but no schematic. I've been meaning to do this for some time, but right now is not the time to do it as I'm extremely busy though I squeezed in a few minutes here and there over the last couple/few days, after my previous post whenever that was... it's a very rough first draught, it needs renumbering and spacing and tidying, but I'll throw it out there regardless:

4MS SWASH STANDARD ROUGH SCHEMATIC.png

Twelve pots and six switches that often interconnect with one another, and late-in-the-game labelling means it's a mess. Feel free to draw your own cleaner version, and let me know what mistakes I've made in my haste.

Buddythereow, I've found DIYLC is pretty fussy with how it saves files. I used to get the same error message if I didn't save it the right way. Can't remember what caused it, nor what I did to fix it, but I've no problem saving files.

It doesn't like when you try to save to another folder other than the folder it sets up for all the projects created with it — that much I do recall.
Maybe there's a newer version I should upgrade to, but my Mac is old and set in its ways, just like me.

Back