Substitutes for MPF4393 ?

P51994

Just bought the Bohemia pcb but it's hard to find the JFET MPF4393 transistors.
So what substitutes can replace them ?
Thanks !

A chap at tagboardeffects built the Sabbath vero version & tried J201, 2N5457, 2n5484 & PN4393.
He said they all worked but the PN4393 had the least Background Noise which is what I found.
There are 5 in that Circuit.

A chap at tagboardeffects built the Sabbath vero version & tried J201, 2N5457, 2n5484 & PN4393.
He said they all worked but the PN4393 had the least Background Noise which is what I found.
There are 5 in that Circuit.

Is the pin orientation the same?

Yes pinout for MPF4393 & PN4393 are the same. When selecting low-noise FETs, devices with higher Idss and lower Rds,on are lower noise, all other things being equal. However, we have to be mindful of Vgs,off because if we install a device with Vgs,off different from the one that the designer selected, then we may need to tweak the bias by changing the source or drain resistor. I attached the MPF4393 & PN4393 datasheets for your reference.

Attachments

• PN4393.pdf
    391.1 KB · Views: 32
  • MPF4393.PDF
    121 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for that. I tried substituting a 2n4393 from Tayda, was mindful of the pinout but still I get no sound on my DLS MK3 / covert OD build. Think I'll try this instead

2N4393 should have worked. Maybe recheck the pinout. If you still need help, try posting in the troubleshooting forum. The first thing I'll ask is for you to measure the source voltages on Q2, Q4 & Q5. They should all be around 5.5V, ±1V.

I'll do that and post pics etc soon. From what I read it should have worked fine crossing one of the legs over, so I was pretty disappointed. I guess it's also possible one of the legs is shorting out, even though I slipped heat shrink over them. I appreciate your help.

They look and behave like the real deal. Vp & gm are within spec. Solderability is good. Date code on all of the ones I've bought is 942, so they were probably made in September 1989. I've used them in the Covert, BJFE Pink Purple Deluxe & ROG Double-D. They work great. Not everything at EG is a good deal, but there are plenty of good deals to be found. Best way to find them is to get on their mailing list. I bought 50 1N5817s for $4 and 500 FDH400 Si signal diodes for $7. Only complaint I have with them is sometimes they are slow to ship. MPF4393 [electronic goldmine].PNG

2N5457 and MPF4393 have the same pinout.

Nothing special about MPF4393 except Catalinbread was designing them into their pedals when the MPF4393 was still in production. You can buy legit PN4393 from Mouser, $1.17 ea in quantities of 10. Don't risk your money on eBay when you can buy the real-deal from a trusted supplier.

Most JFETs will work as subs for other JFETs provide their Vp and/or Idss are in the right range. The spec ranges between part numbers tend to overlap. Some circuits are very picky. Having the right part number is no guarantee a JFET will work in a given pedal circuit.

Back