Sunflower Fuzz - Low, Gated Output, bias trim not working

PangeaDestructor

Such a simple build, I even got my Ge transistors as a selected pair (from Barry at guitarpcb). They are PNP, the pinout is correct, charge pump is from Tayda, everything looks right to me, the vrefs are correct. However, the bias trimpot does nothing (changes q2's range by about -/+ 0.2v), the output is low and gated - no sustain at all - with an audio probe I get a pretty substantial volume drop at the tail end of each component (e.g., signal is full volume entering c1 and barely audible leaving the capacitor, same with r4). Pics attached, including the charge pump voltage, any help appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 20
Try 1k for the Fuzz Pot.

Also check the joints at C2. Especially the ground connection.
You mean replace the b5k with a b1k? Just making sure before i go digging for one, I may have that around somewhere.

I do get a ground connection on the + leg of c2.

Edit: I used a b5k when the fuzz pot should be a b1k. This is the kind of thing I do, so unsurprising to me but needed it called out by someone else. I see this noted in @jwin615 's comment earlier as well. Going digging, will report back - seems a likely culprit here.

You could try tacking a 1K3 resistor in parallel across fuzz lugs 1 and 3 as a quick test to save you desoldering the pot

That'd change the pot resistance to just over 1K

*Edit too late haha, minus 7.2v bias should work especially with Russian transistors I usually bias some Russian transistors at around minus 7v on the collector for the best sound you are getting negative voltages aren't you?

Last edited:
You could try tacking a 1K3 resistor in parallel across fuzz lugs 1 and 3 as a quick test to save you desoldering the pot

That'd change the pot resistance to just over 1K
Swapped out the pot for a b1k, since I had one in the pile. Doesn't seem to have solved the issue, but it brought the q2c voltage down by about 1v (bias trim now adjusts it from about 7.2v up to 8.3v.

Also, as asked before, do you have a probe? As far as I can tell, we are guessing here.
Just a pokey thing with a cap stuck in it.
I'm big on sanity checks, if you can't tell. But it would be good to know if you have audio into q2.

The bias trimmer and sundial are both wired as variable resistors with lugs 2 and 3 joined turning them clockwise should increase resistance across lugs 1 and 3 of both so they seem to be OK from your description

When I initially looked at your resistance values I thought R3 had a red multiplier band rather than brown but even zooming in I can't tell

Are R3 colour bands brown black black brown brown

Last edited:
Back