Super Heterodyne Receiver Noise

therockdontstop

Hi!
Everything is functioning properly on my Super Heterodyne Receiver build, but there's a consistent crackling noise no matter what adjustments I make to the knobs/switches etc. This noise happens without playing a note. I tried two different guitars with the same result. Really frustrating because it sounds great otherwise, and the noise is getting in the way. At first I thought it might be the nature of the pedal, but I haven't heard anything like it in other demos. Does this sound like anything to anyone? Could it be a bad chip? Thanks!

Attachments

• SHR_Noise.zip
    390.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200427_161827.jpg
    IMG_20200427_161827.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200427_161838.jpg
    IMG_20200427_161838.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 22
Did you use the correct DPDT On/On/On

*DPDT On/On/On This switch MUST be a Type-2 DPDT On/On/On toggle switch. The following are known to be compatible parts:

100-DP6-T100B1M1QE (Long Shaft) https://lovemyswitches.com/taiway-dpdt-on-on-on-switch-solder-lug-long-shaft/

100-DP6-T200B1M1QE (Short Shaft) https://lovemyswitches.com/taiway-dpdt-on-on-on-switch-solder-lug-short-shaft/

1MD6T1B1C0M1QE (Long Shaft) http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/dpdt-on-on-on-solder-term/
I did. I ordered the one from Small Bear using the link in the build doc. The switch is functioning properly from what I can gather.

The reason I ask to check ALL resistors is there are 10r, 100r, 10k, 100k all next to each other & easy to mix up.
It would help to have a Pic of the Solder side as well.

I checked all the resistors with a multimeter, all correct values. Also double checked the capacitors, all correct. I had a spare TL072 ic so I swapped that out. Noise is still there. I'm stumped. Attached a shot of the solder side of the board.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_083959b.jpg
    IMG_20200428_083959b.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 13
Because the DPDT is in the Middle that causes the difference between Switch Type 1 & 2, Have you switched it to the Up or Down position to see if the Noise stops?
I was going to ask did you check that there was no loose solder or wire trace stuck under the Rate Pot in the centre of the PCB

The connections under the rate pot look good. I cleaned up some solder joints that might have been questionable, but don't notice a difference. The noise isn't constant. It's like artifacts between notes or after a note. The more I futz with the pedal, the more I think this is just the way it is. It's less noticeable the weirder the settings. I just figured at the baseline square fuzz setting with no osc or usb there shouldn't be noise outside of playing notes.
I did switch back to the power supply from battery power and noticed an improvement in the noise. It's still there but significantly reduced. I guess it was good to have a basis for comparison. I noticed on the EQD DC page, it mentions "Pedals will make extra noise if there is ripple or unclean power." I'm using a Trutone CS7 power supply. No issues with other pedals, but this one might be super picky.

Curious, Have you tried a buffered pedal in front of it ie standard Boss pedals or buffer?

But , I think this is the way it is!

Last edited:
This might be just my personal opinion but I also built this pedal and found it to be very unpredictable. I was hoping it'd be a bit better than what I heard in the various YouTube demos of the real thing, but after messing with it for a couple hours I never found very many satisfying settings. It always sounded too wild and weird, like it has a mind of its own... I could never be sure if I'd be able to repeatedly dial in a desired sound across multiple sessions.

This might be just my personal opinion but I also built this pedal and found it to be very unpredictable. I was hoping it'd be a bit better than what I heard in the various YouTube demos of the real thing, but after messing with it for a couple hours I never found very many satisfying settings. It always sounded too wild and weird, like it has a mind of its own... I could never be sure if I'd be able to repeatedly dial in a desired sound across multiple sessions.
Thanks for chiming in. I was hope to hear from others who built it. I'll agree that it seems to have a mind of it's own. I'm liking some of the weird sounds I'm getting, but it always has an underlying noise that bugs the hell outta me.

The attachment 4209 above was for another Member, Been deleted!

Do you have a Noise Gate pedal you can try & see if it Helps!. I was thinking about it & Chuck suggested it might help like similar designs from the past that have these glitches that maybe a noise gate might have worked.

I got a Fuzz Factory & thought it was a pain in the A-- to dial in & parted with it real Quick.
I like Simplicity so I stay away from these types of pedals!

I don't have a noise gate currently, but I have the vero prepped for an MXR noise gate. I'll update once I've given that a try. It'll take me a few days. My pedal building time is limited. I could see how that might help.
Haha I love the Fuzz Factory. But I also love the Super Hard On and that's as basic as it gets. Different strokes for different folks. Your helps is much appreciated!

Back