SOLVED Switch Popping

TravisM

I build the Andromeda deluxe and love almost everything about it. When I engage the switch, it pops through the amplifier. I tried adding the delay circuit described here with no difference. This starting additional testing and while troubleshooting, I noticed that the pop occurs with nothing else is connected except output jack and the amp (no input and now power). I'm a bit stumped at this point.

I posted a before pic, an after pic (not pictured is the 380R attached to the anode leg on the resistor), the circuit schematic, the board schematic and the delay circuit diagram.

Attachments

• PXL_20220116_025202883.jpg
    PXL_20220116_025202883.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • ADSchematic.JPG
    ADSchematic.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 26
  • LEDCAP.JPG
    LEDCAP.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 20
  • SwitchBoard.JPG
    SwitchBoard.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220222_024800624.jpg
    PXL_20220222_024800624.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 19
What kind of switch do you have installed? Is it a soft click switch? Or a harder one? Honestly, even with soft click switches I have a lot of pedals that still have a noticeable "pop" when engaged. Just no easy way around it sometimes...especially if there are impedance differences.

I just tried a new switch, new breakout board and new LED and it still pops like it is its job. C27 is the capacitor nearest the output, it is a film cap, should I start there for leakage voltage?

Would a relay circuit be of benefit?
I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking for help.

I did just measure across the output jack and while switching I can see a 10-15 mV spike across it. I'll have to check that against another pedal to see if it is normal and expected.

First thing, I'd try disconnecting the LED and see if that solves it.

What are you plugging into? Is the switch pop consistent across multiple amps/interfaces/etc?
Have you checked DC leak from whatever you're plugged into?

Have you tried tapping the board with a chopstick/etc to see if there's a particularly microphonic component?
Are you getting any significant mechanical noise from the wire that goes from input to switch?

You could try lowering the values of R2 and R40 to see if that helps. In the AMZ schematic you posted, try raising the value of the cap to ground from 10u to 22u or higher.

Try using shielded wire from the input to the switch and see if that help at all.

First thing, I'd try disconnecting the LED and see if that solves it.
Didn't help

What are you plugging into? Is the switch pop consistent across multiple amps/interfaces/etc?
Vox AC4, Fender Princeton Reverb, Yamaha THR10II. It is there but the volume of the pop is different.

Have you checked DC leak from whatever you're plugged into?
I measured a significant DC leakage from the input on the AC4. Thanks for suggesting that.

Have you tried tapping the board with a chopstick/etc to see if there's a particularly microphonic component?
Are you getting any significant mechanical noise from the wire that goes from input to switch?
No change when tapping.

You could try lowering the values of R2 and R40 to see if that helps. In the AMZ schematic you posted, try raising the value of the cap to ground from 10u to 22u or higher.

Try using shielded wire from the input to the switch and see if that help at all.
TBD

that 2U2 at the output could be really leaky? If you have a high-ish value film cap (220n or 470n or something) try swapping it for that and see if it helps.
Replacing the 2U2 fixed the pop for the THR and Princeton! Thanks for your suggestions. Now to dig into the Vox to find the source of the DC leakage.

So this is almost an entire year later and I just added a 100nF cap on the input to clear up the remaining DC I was seeing and now this pedal is even more quiet than from just changing the 2U2 alone. I have put it back on my board after it collecting dust for a year and it has been nice to change some of my dirt section up.

Back